Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I call it laundrymat, and I think I spell it that way too! LOL!!! I sure am thankful that I seldom go there!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well we actually say Lawn-dru-mat. But Laudromat is correct here. And yes Mary the O-matic was a popular thing.

My Gram used to Warsh her clothes in the zinc cuz it was cheaper.
LOL, I say Lawn-dru-mat as well... All of my relatives are from Michigan and they claim it's a "Michigander" thing lol...along with "yous guys..." << I don't say THAT, however. I didn't know I was pronouncing it strangely until my best friend made fun of me sometime in high school LOL.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
LaundrOmat here................

Fun reading...........I remember hearing 'warsh' once in awhile. Sort of said as an on purpose slang........

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I said ~laundrumat~ in NY, or just ~the laundry~. I'm not sure how it's pronounced here in FL, but it is spelled ~laundromat~.

And druthb00, the only people I ever heard say youse guys are from NYC. I still say it along with a few other Brooklyn slangs, like ~Ter-lit~(toilet), ~soder~ (soda), and ~hea and beah~ (here and beer) :shrug2: :lol3:

I love all the different accents and vocabularies, and I've gotten pretty good at identifying which city/state people are from too. That's because here in FL, native Floridians are far and few between. Seems like everybody here is a transplant from another state. So after striking up converations while standing on line, etc., I began hearing all the different accents, and that's why I've gotten good at it. :)

Neat Topic!

Theresa :coffee3:

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is what it is, and it is Landromat. The word laundrymat is a corruption of the correct word, probably like some people will say 'li-berry' for library or 'nu-cu-lar' for nuclear, or FARVE for FAVRE, even Brett says everyone says it wrong. A mispronunciation. You do your laundry at the laundromat.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Laundromat here. My ex MIL always said warsh also. And Maui would be from Hawarya. My ex and I would always remind her there is no "r" in either word but it did no good.

Cat

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Laundromat here. My ex MIL always said warsh also. And Maui would be from Hawarya. My ex and I would always remind her there is no "r" in either word but it did no good.

Cat
My grandmother (mom's MIL) would add an r to end of words that ended with a Short sound a. My mother's name ended in a short sound A. She thought her MIL was making fun of her name for years. Until one day I pointed out she did that to all words that ended that way. It was just her accent.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It is what it is, and it is Landromat. The word laundrymat is a corruption of the correct word, probably like some people will say 'li-berry' for library or 'nu-cu-lar' for nuclear, or FARVE for FAVRE, even Brett says everyone says it wrong. A mispronunciation. You do your laundry at the laundromat.
Is it landromat, or laundromat?I'm getting even more confused.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I say laundrymat, though I know the correct way is laundromat. It just sounds funky that way.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I know it's spell Laundromat but I say launder mat. I'm a hick.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think you are correct and the proper way is Laundromat short for Laundro-matic. Keep in mind when this was named, most people probably still had wringer washers and clothes lines, so it would definitely be considered an automatic laundry.

We pronounce it Laundrymat here in the south, but we aren't known for our correct pronunciation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
To me it was never a laundromat or laundrymat, its a washateria courtesy of my mother and grandmother. and chicago was always pronounced chicargo by my father and brother.:laundry:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts