Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - it's been rainy here and it's getting hard to get clothes dry. I need ya'lls advise on this question:

Do I pay 50 cent per load to dry at the laundromat OR do I buy a new (cheap - $300 or so) dryer (maybe a used if I could find)??

I have been hanging out some clothes to dry around the house, but sometimes there isn't room.

So, what do you all think?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
OK...I have a problem with my clothes going where other peoples clothes have been. It's just me I guess. I myself would find a good used one. In your area there may even be a scratch and dent appliance store. I bought years ago an upright freezer for half the cost because it had a bent in the side.

Barbara

·
Registered
558 Posts
Buy the dryer. You'll save money and time because while your clothes are drying at your house, you'll be able to do other tasks like dusting, cooking, cleaning, etc. It's far more efficient than hanging out at the laudrymat.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We could not and would not want to live without a dryer. We wash and dry several loads a day. I have to say from my point of view, buy a dryer.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I say buy the dryer, in the long run it will save you time and money and it's convenient too! I personally dont like drying my clothes where other people's clothes have been (besides my own families), but that's JMHO.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've seen used dryers for as little as $50 and as much as $300 depending on the model. If you have no issues buying a used dryer, you could probably find a pretty decent deal. Once we had kids I decided I would not be without a washer and dryer in the house. It's so time consuming (and pretty darn expensive here) to go to the laundry mat. I can be a lot more productive while my clothing dries at home.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we bought a scratch and dent washer and dryer and fridge too for that matter. its a great way to go. i will not be without a washer dryer again the laundromat is jsut too crazy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Try looking for a used one of Craigslist. Or the paper! I would buy a dryer, makes doing laundry so much more convenient. And you can still air dry some stuff on a non-rainy day. :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I dont ever want to be without a washer or dryer in life again. I havent seen a laundrymat where you can dry a load for 50 cents in ages. You can get a decent dryer for $300

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I dont ever want to be without a washer or dryer in life again. I havent seen a laundrymat where you can dry a load for 50 cents in ages. You can get a decent dryer for $300
:yeah:

I think it costs around $1.50 a load to dry clothes here.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Try freecyle.org. I live in a smaller town now, but the Twin Cities (from where I recently moved) always had postings for free ones -- and don't forget you can place a "wanted" notice as well.

Good luck!

~Mary

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I vote for purchasing the dryer also. You time is valuable and waiting around in laundrymat is not time efficient. You will save in the long run by purchasing the dryer and it will make life much easier :) .

·
Registered
117 Posts
I definelty would buy a cheap/used dryer. The idea of sitting in a laudrymat gives me shivers.. especially with the amount of laundry I do with three young children.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would check with freecycle, and if i could not find one that way then i would buy a dryer, I think it would save money and time, if you buy one you don;t have to load the wet clothes (they way a ton) drive to the laundry mat with gas prices buying one would pay for itself right there, plus all the time you would save I have used a laundry mat, when we had a flood and had a lot of clothes to wash at once- I would not like to do it all the time it cost alot-so i would look at free cycle also if you could buy a used or scratch and dent, try and find one that is enegry efficiant, one with a sensor that stops when the clothes are dry. good luck in finding a dryer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would say buy a dryer! I just recently had to go to the laundramat since my renters stole my washer and dryer... did it for about 2 months... and then when I got my money back from the renters for stealing the washer and dryer, I went to Lowes and got a new washer and dryer for 600 bucks total. No, they arent top of the line.... (not bottom either... think one step up on the ladder! LOL!) but they wash, and they dry! Which is all I care about anyways! (*side note... I bought new because it was more convienant for me than searching for used and then finding a way to transport them from point A to Point B.... Lowes delivers! :) )

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
By the dryer......... If the dryers are like the dryers here you have to keep feeding them. 50 cents is 12 mins here.
Fern

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK I will try to find a used one to buy for cheap.

I just started selling Avon (like yesterday lol) and dropped off some books at the laundromat. (Not attempting to sell on here!) Hopefully that will give me a reason to need to go there anyway. I go by the laundromat when I go to the nearest so-so size town, I can check on my way.

I think that the .50 is 12 or 15 min here also. That seems to get the clothes mostly dry. I agree that saving gas is a biggie - even though I do get over 30 miles per gallon in my car. I'm worried about a dryer doing major damage to my electric bill. Do you all know approx what your cost of running your driers are?

It doesn't help that I am taking time off work - medical reasons - and not bringing in any money either. :(

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Donna, I'm in Canada so electric prices will be different. Our dryer costs us about $40cdn a month to run I'm guessing. Since hang drying our electric bill has gone down $20 a month, and I am hang drying about 1/2 of our laundry.
Well, I'm hang drying most of mine, but DD#2 still lives at home and insists on using the dryer all the time for hers. We run about 7-8 loads/week between all of us...on a bad week.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
:yeah:

I think it costs around $1.50 a load to dry clothes here.
last time i was at the laundromat it was 25cents for every 7 minutes!!!!

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
I vote for buying a dryer. Hanging things out when you can is great, but life is complicated enough without having to go to the laundromat all the time...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts