Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand did you or do you use to wash your newborn and infant's clothes in? I am wanting to begin washing all the clothes I have for Jacob but not sure if I should get Dreft (sp?) or if the Baby All would be fine.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I use Dreft and baby Purex. The only reason I have those 2 off hand is because I had a coupon for the purex and mom brought be the Dreft and the hospital gave me bags of baby samples that had dreft in them as well.

As for the Baby All, I think most aimed towards baby's would be fine so if you want to use that, I think it would be okey.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kat!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I also used Dreft and Baby All, but not for long. I gradually started using other products, and as long as she didn't have a reaction, I used them. I actually still have half a box of dreft and a partial bottle of Baby All. I love the way Dreft smells, and I used it on all her clothes before she was born. I found the only thing I realy needed to worry about was what her cloth diapers were washed in. I needed detergent without enzymes in it, and that is pretty hard to find- even the baby detergents didn't help.

Oh, I should add that my DD had eczema, too. The detergent didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other, so you may not have to use a baby detergent at all.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I should also add that I've thrown a few of Paiges things with our laundry when I had the room for them (instead of doing an additional small load or wait for more dirty clothes) and the detergent I use most of the time (Purex or Tide) has never bothered her.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Oh, wanted to add....I used them on all our clothes close to the arrival of baby coming....got us in the baby mood! :D DH wasn't impressed going into truck stops smelling like a wee baby!:D

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Heather, it should be international law that all men smell like babies. ;)

I used pure soap flakes for the first few months. When I realised they had no reactions to our clothes or the things around them, I used our regular laundry liquid.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I used All Free Clear for the whole family. Now I make my own powder detergent and will continue to use it.

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Make your own soap.
It has less chemicals than the kind bought in stores. (Less chemical = less chance of an allergic reaction, rashes etc)

7 onces of zote. (chip it up) Heat the soap in half a gallon of water until it dissolves.
Add Half a cup of washing soda
and half a cup of Borax.
Then when this is dissolve
Add 1.5 gallon of water.

You could probably change the Zote soap with some ivory. (I would add more ivory soap than the Zote)

This ends up costing you 2-3 cents for a load of laundry.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have been using Baby All. But I have washed his clothes with our stuff too with our regular soaps and it hasn't caused him any reactions. :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up buying Dreft yesterday and washed several loads and have it all ready for our little man!! :D I won't buy Dreft again - next time I will get the Baby All.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the Baby All in my baby clothes and something I use it to some one mine. It smells really good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts