Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, when you do your laundry, how many people reuse their dryer sheets in the dryer? and how many times do you use it? My DH says you should only use the dryer sheets once and throw it away. I feel that they can be used more than once. Also, how much soap do you use per load when washing your clothing? I have found my clothes get just as clean using much less than the reccommend amount by the manufacturer. In fact, someone said that if you use the reccommened amount by the manufacturer, it will shorten the lifespan of the washer. Any thoughts??

Pizzamaker

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I reuse my dryer sheets until they are just little mangly twist bits of next to nothing. I use only about 1/2 lid of detergent. My clothes still get just as clean.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As for sheets in dryer, I use 1/4 of mine each load. Then i toss out, or throw in a drawer to keep smelling fresh.

The detergent I use about 1/2 a capfull. Sometimes less, and then rinse the cap with the water in the washer.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I only use dryer sheets once -- mostly because we have to do laundry at my grandparents' house or at the laundromat. Once we move in Feb. and have our own w/d, I will probably get more use out of them. Or cut them into 1/4 (although I don't know why I haven't done that yet...)

For laundry soap, I use about 1/2 cap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a plastic measuring cup attached with elastic to the shelf above the washer. I use 1/4 cup of detergent per load along with 1/2 cup of Borax and a Downey ball. I am using the Extra brand from Wally World. It's about half the price of the name brand stuff and works fine for us. The Borax is making a difference in keeping out whites their brightest with the well water.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't use the sheets, I use the downy ball. As for detergent I use half the lid on the bottle.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
when i used dryer sheets i cut them at least in half.
and we use about 1/2 the recommended amount of soap. and some vinegar often in the rinse to get the residue out

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I use half the lid on the detergent bottle. I rarely reuse my dryer sheets though.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I do not use dryer sheet as I refuse to buy a dryer. I do own a washer however I air dry everything. I have found that air drying everything really extends the life cycle of my clothes.

After reading the responses here I think that I will decrease the amount of clothes detergent which I currently use.

One thing which has made a BIG difference in cleanliness in my clothes is my method of washing clothes. First, I use cold water for everything. Second, I insert the detergent into the washer, then add the clothes, then I allow the washer to fill with water and begin agitating for 5 minutes. I then turn off the washer and let the clothes soak for 20 minutes ( I set my oven timer). I then turn the washer back on and let the clothes complete the washer cycles. Allowing the clothes to have the 20 minutes of soaking makes a big difference. :clap:

·
Registered
908 Posts
I cut dryer sheets in half and then use one time. I use about hald a capful of detergent unless clothes are very dirty.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I see no reason not to reuse dryer sheets. You can still feel the fabric softener in them after a short drying round. Also, my mother was trained as a home economist when they actually had to do research on wear-and-tear on both fabrics and on machines - for what it is worth, I've seen her use extremely little soap on loads that were not really soiled but that she just wanted to freshen. I don't think she would have if it were going to be hard on the machine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I reuse the sheets when i use the dryer. I try to line dry almost everything. I only put enought soap in the cap to cover the bottom of the lid. Everything comes out fresh and clean!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I used to rip my dryer sheets in half or 1/3 when i used them.. then reused 2 together in a subsequent load. Then i would tie them on hangers or put them in old socks or sashets in drawers, which kept everything smelling like it just came out of the dryer. I used to make my own laundry detergent from borax and Octagon and mix it with a little regular laundry detergent so it wouldn't seperate. Many a time i just used Borax to wash with and it worked just fine.

I have been using Extra.. i had a large 98 load bottle which lasted me a year .. and i know i have done a LOT more then 98 loads of laundry. I used Borax as a booster for whites and really light colors.

I finally got some Soda Ash ( AKA Washing Soda ) here a while back and now i am going to get some more Borax and use my own homemade Lye soap and make myself some Laundry Detergent. I am going to try it dry first and if i do not like how it works i will make a liquid form. For my diapers i am planning on using a wet bucket of Borax solution and using borax in the wash. For the moment til i get the laundry soap made i have a smaller Probubly 48 load bottle of Extra to use and i still have tons of softener cause i always forget to put it in *lol*.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You can certainly re-use them or cut them in half.

Or...not use them at all! I don't. I've found that I really have no reason to.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
we have a water softener so i only use 1/4 of what it ask for. And since I"m on the no use dryer days, I wont be using sheets.
Otherwise I cut the sheets too in 1/3 and use it just enought to soften clothes after they air dried in furnace room.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I now use half the recommended amount of detergent and put vinegar in my downy ball instead of downy. I used to use dryer sheets all the time and then throw them away. Now I use them only on really staticky things like synthetic fabrics. I keep the used dryer sheets for dusting furniture. I have also started collecting the dryer lint to make fire starters.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
you can also use your used dryer sheets to dust with :)

I cut them in 1/2, and I re-use them. Then, I dust with them :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I cut dryer sheets in 1/2, but do not reuse them. I find clothes get full of static if they are reused. As for detergent, I use about 1/2 what the directions call for if the clothes are not really dirty. In the summer, when we are all sweaty, I use the full amount of detergent. Maybe I'm wasteful?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I no longer use dryer sheets and have not missed them one bit. I use Arm & Hammer detergent and slowly cut back how much detergent I would use at a time. I am down to 1/4 of the scoop provided.

As someone else mentioned, I also add the detergent to the water first, cold water only (except for the very small load of delicates which get hot water) then add the clothes. Don't over load, you wont get as clean of clothes so you are not saving time or money imo.

Hang, hang, hang. We have snow during the winter months so I purchased a closet-rod-stand for the laundry room and we installed a long closet rod next to the washer and dryer. I have tons of room to hang clothes, now. My detergent smells very good, I do not miss the dryer sheets at all.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I do use dryer sheets & liquid fabric softner (not by my choice but by dh's choice). I use 1/2 cup of laundry detergent & 1/2 cup of borax. My dh claims when I don't use liquid fabric softner, the clothes smell musty, especially the towels. I use a full fabric softner sheet, and I don't reuse them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts