Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I reuse them at least 3 times and I only use 1/2 cap of laudry detergent.

I don't have an outside line and don't have alot of room for an inside line, but am trying to hang as much as I can so I don't have to use dryer alot.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I don't typically use dryer sheets. I sometimes use the liquid, then only 1 tsp. For Detergent, I use 2 T. I put both liquids into old water bottles with the lids with tiny holes; that makes it so much easier to restrict the amount used. My clothes come out clean and smell good too.

Just be cautious if you have young kids that they don't get ahold of the bottle.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I don't have to use dryer sheets.

I make my own laundry soap and since changing over to it, I have had no need. The clothes smell wonderful and no static cling.​

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use less then half of the laundry soap they say,I use fabric softner when I hang clothes. I use dryer sheets for the bath towels and kitchen towels,I do put those in the dryer.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A box of dryer sheets can last me up to 2 years!:sun: I never use dryer sheets. In the summer, I line dry EVERYTHING (I like the feeling of line dried clothes better), and in the winter I don't use them unless I have a serious static problem. And I usually only have maybe a week or two of static problems each February when the air gets really dry.

I use about a quarter or a cap of detergent in my load of laundry, and found that the clothes feel better on the skin. I didn't notice it until I started using less...but some brands, when you use a full capful, you get a weird feeling on your clothes and you can actually feel the soap residue on your clothes. But I never noticed it until it was gone, and the clothes actually felt cleaner!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Since I am at home now there isn't a large amount
of laundry for us two. Once a week usually on
Friday evening I will do the laundry and unless
it's the summer it's not to bad. Maybe three loads.

We get our laundry detergent from Costco in that
huge red plastic container and I take a shampoo
bottle, fill it, and a most time a couple of good
squirts will do the job for washing the clothes.
I have noticed since I have started using the
shampoo bottle method I use a lot less. Do the
same thing for the fabric softener also.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I don't use sheets. I have a tupperware with half downy and half water.. I keep 3 sponges in it. and throw one in every dry load. I used to use wash rags. but I liked the sponges better

·
Registered
236 Posts
I cut my dryer sheets in half and only use them once. As for detergent I use half of what they say. You just do what's best for you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't use sheets. I have a tupperware with half downy and half water.. I keep 3 sponges in it. and throw one in every dry load. I used to use wash rags. but I liked the sponges better
That's a great tip, I had never heard of this one. Does it matter what kind of sponge? Does it have to be a sea sponge or a synthetic sponge?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The last time I needed to buy detergent the cheapest thing at Big Lots (where I buy most of that sort of thing) was the Oxyclean detergent ball. It was only 2 bucks so I figured I would give it a try. I love it...I don't have to measure (you just leave it in the washer) I add a tiny bit of liquid fabric softener to the built in dispenser in the washer and fill to the top with water. Just to be on the safe side I do add a bit of borax or other booster in with my guy's work clothes since they tend to be grungy. But all in all I think it gets my clothes clean. Two bucks for 30ish loads of wash with no phosphates.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I bought Costco brand dryer sheets and well they don't really smell. I toss a whole sheet in the ONE load I now use the dryer for - well ok 2 types: socks/ undies & towels/bedsheets. I often wonder if the Costco brand really does work. I am tempted to go buy Bounce once this box disapears ;) and cut the sheets in half.

Another useful tip for reusing dyer sheets - I take it and run it over my clothes, hair to cut back on the static - great for pantyhose!! I also use it to dust and have tried shoving the once used full sized sheet into my Swiffer ;) Seems to work.

Laundry detergent - I only use 1/4 - 1/3 cap of Purex or Arm & Hammer (the green bottle made from plant extracts) regular detergent, not the ultra stuff. My clothes arent usually dirty but more worn and odour imprinted if you know what I mean.....cooking in the kitchen etc so that lil bit does go a long way and fulfills its job.

I also use the Downey ball with vinegar in the wash as well as 1/2 c vinegar to the COLD wash water then add the detergent. I took will let the load sit for 10-20 mins and then let it wash through. The soak makes a huge diff and the vinegar deodorizes everything.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a lot to learn since I have found this site. I never thought about cutting my dryer sheets in half.:weeping:

~~Darlene~~

:pony: Daughter Lexi
:paw: Chelsea and Max
:kitty: Tangie

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use about 1/2 the detergent called for in the washing machine. Have been hanging up laundry to dry for past 9 months, but prior to that I reused dryer sheets. Would use 1 two times, then 2 old ones together in one load. Then used the worn out sheets for dusting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I soak an old wash cloth in liquid softner, hand it to dry and add this same cloth to my dryer for about 40 (yes I meant 40!)loads. Works great! I make homemade laudry detergent that I use for darks. I do use 1/2 of what is recomended for the whites load of bought laudry soap. I've also used vinegar for softner during the rinse which works very well too... but I always forgot :thud:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I reused mine... of course i no longer use them anymore just because i ran out and never remember to put in the liquid.

Once i used them once i would put 2 used ones in the next load... then i would rip them into 1/3 and tie them to hangers to keep clothes fresh smelling.. i also put them in drawers in old socks or sashets.

As for laundry detergent when i am using a Detergent i use probubly 3Tbsp of liquid or so of Extra in a Large or what my washer calls Super Large Load. If i make my own 1 Cup Grated and kneeded Soap, 1Cup Borax, 1 Cup Soda Ash then i will use 1Tbsp for a Large Load of laundry.

For my Diapers i am planning on washing them in Borax, which is what i wash my towels in and they do fine.

Once we get a line up so i can line dry some clothes( at my last place the line was so low i couldn't dry any pants because both of our legs would drag the ground *lol* we are both tall ) i will be putting all my diapers out on the line and will be putting some clothes on the line.. my grandmother always did the trick of putting the clothes on the line til they were dry or almost dry then pop them in the dryer for a few minutes. That gets rid of the stiff line dry feel on the clothes, yet saves a good bit of $.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a front loading washer and use about 2 Tblsp of detergent use downy in the dispenser.
Just a tip for those that use dryer sheets you can take a spray bottle fill with liquid fabric softner and spray a couple of sprays on a damp wash rag and get the same results.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I also only use half a dryer sheet per load. I usually use 3/4 of a capful of detergent as we have extremly hard water here.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I do use dryer sheets & liquid fabric softner (not by my choice but by dh's choice). I use 1/2 cup of laundry detergent & 1/2 cup of borax. My dh claims when I don't use liquid fabric softner, the clothes smell musty, especially the towels. I use a full fabric softner sheet, and I don't reuse them.
I wash my towels in hot (we have a well) water with 1/4 of detergent and baking soda as needed and it's okay for towels. We had to stop using softener for my daughters skin irritation and new way to wash towels has really helped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I make my own laundry detergent - a large load calls for 1/2 cup which costs less than 1cent.

We hang everything to dry - then 'soften' for a few minutes in the dryer. I use an old, cotton, cloth napkin sprayed with diluted store brand/generic fabric softener (mix 1/2 and 1/2 in a pistol grip sprayer). I don't have to spray it for every load - just when it feels like it needs it. We have had the same bottle of fabric softener for over 5 years and there's at least a third of a bottle remaining!

Ellen

21 - 40 of 50 Posts