Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a creme colored shirt the other day and at work red ink from the postage meter got on it.

We sprayed it with hair spray, ran it under cold water, pre-treated and even Oxy-cleaned it and nothing has helped..

Any suggestions?

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I'd try some "goop" or some type of waterless hand cleaner that the mechanics use...I've heard that does well as a pre-treat.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Mil swears by lard. It doesn't sound like it could get any worse. You could alway try dying it red.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I'm not sure, I can tell you Oxy will only get out organic stains.... Grass, blood, food, ect.......

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I know that rubbin alcohol will get out blue ink, has I've had to do that a number of times with dh's work shirts. It may also work with red ink.

I use it full strength and let it soak on the shirts until it comes out.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
If you feel that the shirt is ruined and you have nothing to loose, I would try Cascade dishwasher detergent. I have found that this stuff works wonders on stains, but becare it will bleach the spot if left on very long. I usually put a blob of Cascade and then take a toothbrush and softly brush it in, flip the shirt inside out and do the other side as well. Wash according to the fabric type (I use warm on most things). Good luck.

pat

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Any luck getting the stain out? Just don't dry the shirt before you get it out--that will set the stain. Let us know if you got it out :)

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to try some of the ideas you ladies have given me..

I'll let you know.

I am trying to just let it air dry for the time being..I really like this shirt....

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
it's the alcohol in the hairspray that takes ink out, so if you have regular alcohol, use than instead of hairspray when you try to get ink out and then you don't have to worry about a ring being left by the hairspray.

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well ladies,

The alcohol worked great.

You can't even tell that the postage machine had one that round *lol*.

The shirt is as good as new.

Thanks for all the helpful tips and advice.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Yay! What a relief, especially since you liked it so much :)

·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Michelle,

It was a very good deal...$7 for regular price of $30.

that and I skipped work to go shopping....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts