Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
husband finds out this morning, oh yeah oops forgot to tell you, you're back on layoff. nice. thanks for the heads up. now the layoff itself isn't a huge surprise, the masonry industry is still pretty fickle, but the fact that neither his foreman nor anyone higher up bothered to call? if he hadn't called his foreman this morning he would have suited up and headed to the job site......that would not have been pretty.

so, back to severely restricted income. thankfully i've been minding my p's and q's and all bills are current and there's $$ in the bank and we've already adopted a "spend less" plan...however due to his on again/off again work/layoff history over the past many months, ok since oct 2009, his unemployment benefits were REDUCED so instead of the full $560 a week that is now $430. ouch. his normal take is right around $1000.

embracing the opportunity to kick frugality into high gear.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it will only be a couple of months and things will pick up after winter. I'm glad you already had a plan for this, but the reality always stinks. Saying prayers that he will be back to work soon.

Cat

Reactions: Tess B

·
27,948 Posts
Glad you have been minding those p's & q's and hope you can keep things humming along without too much trouble. Like your frugal kick butt attitude!
Come on Spring!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Sorry to hear about the layoff. Prayers for a fast return to work!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
So sorry to hear about the layoff. Praying he gets back to work real soon! Good job on the budgeting and saving to help you get through.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hope he will be back to work soon!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sorry to hear about the layoff.

My dh last day of work was last Friday. He isn't eligible for unemployment until April. Something about the quarters and how they count them. So it will be a very tuff 4 months for us.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the boost! we'll be ok, we always are. plus he's turned into a darn good househusband and i really kinda like having him home...he let's the dish fairies in!

happymom, special thoughts go out to your and your hubby! i hope something "gives" between now and April.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Im really sorry to hear this. DH is a journeyman plumber who had to hang up the towel so to speak, and change fields. It was always hard to budget when one week his check would be for 180 & the next 500+. Seems like more and more of the skilled trades jobs are laying off and just not hiring or hiring new people at lower rates.

Good thing you had an idea it was going to come and you have everything in order.

It will get better!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
thanks everyone for the boost! we'll be ok, we always are. plus he's turned into a darn good househusband and i really kinda like having him home...he let's the dish fairies in!

happymom, special thoughts go out to your and your hubby! i hope something "gives" between now and April.
Thanks and good luck to you also. Like you it goes with the job. My dh is a computer consultant. So he does go between contracts from time to time. But the last few years it has been terrible for jobs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dh is in hvac and it is slow last year at this time we went to 6 hour days now some people might say not so bad at least you are working however we pay our own Health insurance and it is very costly I forsee worse this year the trades are so slow .I had to have a huge tree cut down yesterday and the tree guy who has been in business 40 years said he has never seen it this slow and if gas continues to rise the trades are in big trouble. Hoping we all see something good soon

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Seems like more and more of the skilled trades jobs are laying off and just not hiring or hiring new people at lower rates.
Exactly! My husband has been self-employed for the past 10 years in home remodeling. The last 2.5 years have been rough (2010 was better than 2009...we had steady work all year, but only because of referrals.) He wishes he could get hired on somewhere else in this field, but he's 49 and companies don't care about your experience anymore....it's all about hiring young inexperienced workers who will work for next to nothing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DH has been in the masonry trade for 25 years now....he's a hod carrier, which is just a tough brutal job....as he puts it "run fast carrying heavy things, all day" and it's starting to wear on him now physically. that is perhaps the silver lining in the layoff, his body gets a chance to rest up. being in the trade for that length of time and now at 45 his options aren't exactly endless......not sure this is really the time to start that worm farm he's always dreamed of!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
good luck, Tess. I hope he finds work soon. Way to keep your chin up. ;)

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
First great job being such a good manager and as prepared as possible! I hope he gets back to work asap. Keep posting and keep your chin up. I know through our financial hardships the Village has been a lifeline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.