Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This is a recipe very similar to what my mom used to make. Had to look it up online because I had forgotten all about it. I love this stuff.
This actually was a recipe that was given to her from Weight Watchers.

Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole

1 medium to large head of cabbage, thinly sliced
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper, to taste
3/4 c. Minute rice
2 cans (8oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes

Preheat oven to 375F.
Spray medium-sized roaster pan with cooking spray. Cover bottom of roaster with 3/4 of the sliced cabbage. Brown hamburger and onion, until hamburger is cooked through and the onion is tender. Drain excess grease. Add 1 can of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and rice. Stir to combine and pour over cabbage.
Cover beef mixture with remaining cabbage. Pour diced tomatoes with their juice over the cabbage. Pour remaining can of tomato sauce over the cabbage. Cover roaster with lid or foil and place in oven.
Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until cabbage is tender.
Crockpot: Cook in a new model crockpot, I would cook on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until cabbage was tender.
NOTE: Heard you can add 1 - 14 oz can of saurkraut and layer over top layer of cabbage if desired. Mom never did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a recipe for a cabbage roll soup in the crock pot that I have not tried yet. I have some cooking right now, so can let you know if it is any good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts