Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this really necessary? I can't stay awake :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

I understand that computers are built to compute, but can this actually do anything besides add up numbers and print them in the console? I can't concentrate on the syntax because the math is making my head blurry. I don't care how many prime numbers there are between 1 and 50.

Would the sky fall in if I just moved on to Objective C now?

Need someone to tell me to slog through (or not).

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i wish i could encourage you i hated learning C and C++ for that matter

·
Registered
236 Posts
Do you have to specifically learn C? Java is another good intro programming language, and tidier/more interesting than C IMHO.

Good luck --

·
Registered
224 Posts
The question I'd ask is why you are learning C. Is it to program? The reality is that Mac OSX is based on the *BSD (NetBSD IIRC) and the basis for most *nix is programs written C. I recently started learning Cocoa for Mac (although that has fallen by the wayside because of other things). It also can be a good basis for C++ and other languages since they are often based on the original architecture of C.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, I've got a program in my head. No one seems to make ones that do all the stupid things I want. So, was going to buy the book about Cocoa, but it said you should start with C, then Obj. C, before tackling the Cocoa.

But now I'm thinking the C book is nothing more than programming basics (most of which I covered before, albeit in VB and nearly a decade ago). I think they just wanted to sell me more books ;)

Ah well, I'm pushing through. 2/3s done now.

Beer doesn't make it any less dull :shrug2:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have to take C / C++ next semester and I'm dreading. I am currently taking java and it's kicking my butt! I am the kind of person that it takes me a while to get something (especially math related) but once I get it, I'm golden. We did methods and classes like 4 or 5 weeks ago and I am just now really starting the get how to do them. I think a lot of my problems in the class boil down to terms.

Sometimes I just don't know what the teacher wants me to do. I'm trudging through though and getting it - slowly but surely. We have to do a game for our final homework assignment so that should be interested. I am thinking about doing a small memory game.

I am already planning to order a C/C++ book this summer to help me get a head start with that. Maybe C++ for Dummies or something. lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have to take C / C++ next semester and I'm dreading. I am currently taking java and it's kicking my butt! I am the kind of person that it takes me a while to get something (especially math related) but once I get it, I'm golden. We did methods and classes like 4 or 5 weeks ago and I am just now really starting the get how to do them. I think a lot of my problems in the class boil down to terms.

Sometimes I just don't know what the teacher wants me to do. I'm trudging through though and getting it - slowly but surely. We have to do a game for our final homework assignment so that should be interested. I am thinking about doing a small memory game.

I am already planning to order a C/C++ book this summer to help me get a head start with that. Maybe C++ for Dummies or something. lol
Surprisingly, that's a pretty decent book. Makes it easier to understand (IIRC, it's a two book set).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts