Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of teaching myself to crochet. I have made potholders, hats, slippers, quite a few scarves. I even crocheted a beard for my husband! I'm working on my first afghan now!
I poured scented soy candles and tarts for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it went well! I'm hoping to sell them to help supplement my husband's income.
And I started teaching myself to play the piano a couple of days ago.

I'm pretty proud of myself. The best part is I'm accomplishing it all with very little money invested. I buy yarn from our local thrift store on a regular basis, it's usually in small amounts but that works fine for the smaller projects I do. I purchased the candle making supplies from a lady on a local for sale group for a great price. And I am borrowing my mother-in-law's keyboard to learn to play piano. The Internet has a wealth of information about all of theses subjects, right down to video piano lessons! Just takes a little research.

Is anyone else expanding their horizons and learning new skills? How are you accomplishing it?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That is fantastic Sherry! and that you're doing it as frugally as possible. I taught myself piano as well and agree there is a wealth of information online to help.

I taught myself how to sew, but then took High school courses.

perhaps you'd like to learn to sew next? it's a great skill to have.

I tried to learn to knit and crochet - but I was unsuccessful. I mean.. the scarf was horribly disfigured.

Lots of credit for learning!!!!

Cheers!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a sewing machine and I have tried (and failed) to sew, might have to revisit it and see what happens! :)

I was watching a tv show about prepping tonight and they were talking about how they had been working on learning skills that would be beneficial... As well as finding out who in th e family/community possessed skills they didn't have.
Got me thinking how helpful it would be to have various skills just in everyday life... For my family and even for bartering with others.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The more you learn, the better. Congrats on what you've done! Fantastic.

Maybe you'd like to join the Homesteading Skill-A-Month Challenge here at FV and see what everyone else is learning. :)

·
19,119 Posts
Congrats Sherry! I love learning new skills and the enjoyment in getting better at doing things! The Homesteading Skill group is a great one to get involved with - in fact I think I should check it out again. Hope to see you there!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I love learning new things.

I like crafting with recycled items. There are lots of tutorials on line. And most of the time I already have the things I need to make them. Working with recycled craft materials is also a way to find out if you like something enough to spend money on supplies.

A couple weeks ago I learned to make origami lucky stars. All it takes is paper cut into strips. I bet most of you already have paper. You can just use regular white copy paper. They look nice with fancy paper too. If you are a paper crafter you probably already have some of that around already.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Congratulations! I love learning new things. I'm not a very crafty person but did learn how to knit.

I've been teaching myself to play the piano and speak Spanish.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I'm teaching myself to tat. I'm hoping to be really good at it someday.

I'm an autodidact when it comes to most of what I know.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
A lot of stuff I've learned was due to necessity. Or just being cheap. LOL. Like I was too cheap to pay to have a bathroom gutted and remodeled in a previous house, and I was too cheap to pay to have our garage wired, so I did it myself. But just in general, I like knowing things and having skills of all kinds. :)

I know what you mean about having to focus on a small number of things though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts