Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to teach myself to crochet today. :) I made a potholder. What other easy projects would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Scarves are easy - anything, in fact, that doesn't have to actually fit, like a sweater, because it may take practice to get a consistent tension, and the patterns can be easier to read, unless it's something really elaborate.

Come on over and join us at the Crochet Corner thread - we have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Way to go Sherry!! A great place to get patterns is crochetpatterncentral.com. It has tons of easy patterns a beginner can do. I agree with dcompton, a scarf would be a wonderful choice. :)

Reactions: Sherryh

·
19,119 Posts
Dishcloths for sure!! Congrats on learning a new skill!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Forgot about dishcloths!! :thud: they are the best. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Anything you can think of to do in a square formation. Pillows are 2 squares sewn together. Ponchos are 2 squares sewn together with holes in the seams :) Scarves, of course. Then when you get the hang of squares - with simple shaping, the sky's the limit! :) Congrats on teaching yourself!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yep, as a beginner myself....scarves are easy, fun, fast,
and a great gift.

"basic" hats are pretty easy too......

Check out the crochet thread for some EASY patterns I posted.
If I posted it.............IT IS EASY! Well, unless I was
asking for help.....:laugh:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!!
I finished my first potholder... its all brown and ALMOST a square! lol
I am working on my second one now. I am doing a striped one to get practice changing colors. And this one is more square so far... making progress! :)

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Good job, Sherry! Makes bunches of them, and the square ones can be your "company" pot holders! It takes a while like any new skill, but it seems like you are making quick progress.

·
19,119 Posts
Sherry, you are doing great!! I love crocheting!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
an afghan im serious.. its the first thing my great granny taught me years ago.. no pattern just 2 or three rows of one color than switch to a different color..

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually thinking of starting an afgan! I could still do these little projects to break the monotony. :)
I have been looking online at patterns and I found a few I want to try. One for a dish cloth with a scrubby in the center crocheted with "plarn", which is plastic bags cut into strips. And then another one for a jar opener made with the rubber shelf liner stuff you can buy at the dollar store and a crocheted edge. I was thinking those two with a couple of potholders would make a nice gift. :)
Going to try my hand at some "plarn" tomorrow. I only have scrappy yarn that I grabbed at the thrift store to practice with, so my afgan will have to wait till I get some nicer yarn.

·
19,119 Posts
I'm so glad that you discovered crocheting - sounds as if you are having a great time!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up some needles today so I could finish off my projects. :)I completed one potholder just now. Its not bad if I do say so myself! lol

I also picked up some varigated yarn to play with.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hand cramp....

·
19,119 Posts
You are officially hooked - pun intended!! Congratulations!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts