Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to learn one new skill each month, and this month, I picked candle-making!! So I came here to find out if there were any threads, and found an empty sub-forum! :(

Off to check out the DIY and also to find those cool ice candles.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
What kind are you making? I have made several different types of candles before. I've done some with molds, some with jars, and used several different types of waxes.

Let me know what type you end up trying!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind are you making? I have made several different types of candles before. I've done some with molds, some with jars, and used several different types of waxes.

Let me know what type you end up trying!
I haven't decided yet, although I'm leaning toward jar candles, because I suspect that will require the least outlay of cash initially. Do you have one that you recommend for a beginner?

·
Registered
135 Posts
candlemaker here

Hi madhen, I have made and sold candles for over 4 years. If you have an idea of the type of wax you are leaning towards...I may be able to help...hopefully. I was a soy candle maker and I made, votives, pillars, and jars. I would be more than happy to answer any questions if I can.

Dawn

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
you can get some really cool wine glasses and other things at the thrift stores to make candles in....

something that i made and sold alot of around here was taking a votive candle (white) and using a paint brush..paint it with glue (any old white glue will work...and rolling it in glitter....let dry and then tie a ribbon, raffia, or whatever and sometimes putting a little embellishment (bead, anything) on it... of course these are then for decor only..you don't want to burn...and if you sell them...make sure you post a little notice stating so coz i had some ding-dongs that tried to light them...and glitter doesn't burn too well.........

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi madhen, I have made and sold candles for over 4 years. If you have an idea of the type of wax you are leaning towards...I may be able to help...hopefully. I was a soy candle maker and I made, votives, pillars, and jars. I would be more than happy to answer any questions if I can.

Dawn
Thanks, Dawn! I am leaning toward soy or beeswax. I like the idea of soy because I am told it is cleaner burning. Beeswax just sounds traditional and homey. :) I don't even have clue 1 yet as to what I will need. I have seen some of the supplies at craft stores, but have never really stopped to figure out what you need.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can get some really cool wine glasses and other things at the thrift stores to make candles in....

something that i made and sold alot of around here was taking a votive candle (white) and using a paint brush..paint it with glue (any old white glue will work...and rolling it in glitter....let dry and then tie a ribbon, raffia, or whatever and sometimes putting a little embellishment (bead, anything) on it... of course these are then for decor only..you don't want to burn...and if you sell them...make sure you post a little notice stating so coz i had some ding-dongs that tried to light them...and glitter doesn't burn too well.........
Really cute ideas! I really like the idea of wine glasses (or do they have cola-scented candles? maybe stein candles!) I've seen the ones with cinnamon sticks or twigs around them and have always thought they were really lovely.

I would be concerned that glitter might burn a little TOO well! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Candle making can be fun. And it's easy enough. The only challenge we found was not making a mess. We've ended up with drips of wax up to 20 feet away, and no idea how it even got there!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ooh, it may not be the skill for me, then! If there is a mess to be made, I'm right there! :D I guess I'll give it a go, anyway, and maybe just drape the whole room in sheets!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the library hoping to find some books on candle-making, with ZERO results. :( I guess it is back to the internet!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just tried candle making for the first time a few weeks ago. I had a small kit that included a votive mold. It was easy and fun and now I want to make more!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is candle making cost effective? If so where is the best place to buy supplies? TIA
Erika
I haven't tried it yet, so have nothing for comparison. I think I've seen supplies at Michael's. I suppose the cost would really depend a lot of what you were going for. If you just want emergency candles, it might not be cost-effective to make your own. If you want them for interior decorating, it might be cheaper to make your own, especially once you get good enough at it. I would imagine a lot would depend on the type of candles you make, as well, but hopefully some of our experienced candle makers can answer more knowledgeably.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, so have nothing for comparison. I think I've seen supplies at Michael's. I suppose the cost would really depend a lot of what you were going for. If you just want emergency candles, it might not be cost-effective to make your own. If you want them for interior decorating, it might be cheaper to make your own, especially once you get good enough at it. I would imagine a lot would depend on the type of candles you make, as well, but hopefully some of our experienced candle makers can answer more knowledgeably.

I completely forgot about this post. LOL. Yes I totally agree with Madhen on this. For emergency purposes, I would just buy what you need (traditional white votives or the bag of 100 tealights for $2). But if you are interested in a particular look, color, scent, I would make them, because then you can get what you want and not pay an arm and a leg for them. There are ALOT of suppliers out there, and there may even be some locally, depending on where you are located that you can purchase what you need. HTH. Dawn

Reactions: mom23boyz
1 - 15 of 15 Posts