Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our party Saturday, I had a veggie platter with celery, carrot, green, broccoli, red and yellow peppers.

I chopped what ever was left over into a large (1/4 inch) dice and tossed it into my Dutch Oven with some olive oil and schmaltz (rendered chicken fat for those not in the know ;) ). I also added onion to balance out the aromatics.

Now what? This will yield about 4 cups of veggies.

It warmed up here in the Mid Atlantic so I don't really feel like making soup. We just had chicken stew, sausage gravy and biscuits, meatballs with mash and brown gravy. We are still eating the left over brats and veggie lasagna from the weekend as well. Greebo isn't a fan of chili. I don't have any money in the budget to buy groceries till Nov. 1.

I'll likely freeze it in 1 cup portions but I'd like ideas for "different" meals that we haven't had for a while.... and that won't send me to the store.

I have at my disposal:

Freezer:
venison steaks
ground venison - 1 pound
ground beef - 1 pound
sausage links - 1 pound
chicken thighs - several packs of 4
bacon - 1 pound regular, 1 pound maple
frozen brats, hotdogs - 1 pack each (from the party)
smoked polish sausage - 1 pound link
quarts of frozen chicken stock

Fridge:
1 quart of brown gravy - in my fridge so I need to use it or freeze it
cheeses - colbyjack, cheddar, half a round each of edam and gouda
eggs

pantry:
sandwich rolls and bun - no tortillas
orzo, Goofy shaped pasta, and I can make noodles fairly easily
canned beans (black, kidney, garbanzo, cannelloni)
dried lentils and other beans (pinto, navy, split pea...)
canned tomato, mushrooms, some cream of soups
Bisquick

I know there will be an Impossible Pie in the upcoming week using the veggies and probably a left over brat or two.

I'm game for skillet, casserole and crock pot ideas. :)

Thanks for the use of your Little Grey Cells! ;) I greatly appreciate the ideas!

·
19,119 Posts
I'm in the mood for quiche - and your veggie creation sounds like the perfect base for a quiche - along with some sausage, cheese and eggs = tantalizing treasure for the taste buds!!

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I would add it to chicken stock and freeze it for later, myself. With a little corn and chicken it would become tortilla soup when it gets colder.

Add diced meat of your choice and either cheese or gravy and use it as an empanada filling.

Quiche, or, yeah, Impossible Pie.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Sounds like you have the makings for several different types stir fry. Also Quesadilas.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would add some browned ground venison to the mixture, add a little spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce...top it on the buns..add cheese and bake.

We call these pizza burgers here. My kids (and dh and I) love them.

either that...or slice up your smoked polish sausage..and you could have a stir fry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts