Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do with the left over money in your envolope? This is my first month staying strict with the envolopes and there a few that might have some money left. Do you carry it forward? Do you add it to savings? Do you use it instead of adding more next month? I was planning to carry it forward but one category is babysitter and I hardly ever get one so I'm not sure I want to leave the money in it. So what do you do!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The first few months I left it in the envie and just added the next month's money in there. For instance - if groceries had $40 left and my regular was $100 to put in there, it would then have $140 in it. This was just to make sure I didn't underfund the envies.

After the first few months then I added it to the snowball or savings or wherever it was needed.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I believe the envelope system , much like starting a budget, is an evolving system over time. So this month you may be over and next month you may be short.
Document the amount that you have left and if it is the same next month, you know you have allocated too much.

·
4,028 Posts
We carry ours forward. I would leave money in the babysitting envelop to have if you need one (it will beat figuring out how to pay one you didn't plan for) but put a "cap" or top limit, so you only add to it once you've used it. Does that make sense?

Reactions: Ashley01

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We carry ours forward. I would leave money in the babysitting envelop to have if you need one (it will beat figuring out how to pay one you didn't plan for) but put a "cap" or top limit, so you only add to it once you've used it. Does that make sense?
That definitely make sense!! I still have to rework some of my numbers but your so right something could come up and I might need a sitter more then once a month. I like the idea of a cap on it to, thank you!!

·
19,119 Posts
...and here I'm going ...."money left over???" So glad you've started using the envelope system - it really is a good one.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
...and here I'm going ...."money left over???" So glad you've started using the envelope system - it really is a good one.
Funny how when you start managing your money it's like getting a raise huh? :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I leave overages in there because I KNOW I'm going to end up using it. Examples are PETS. One week it's JUST dog and parrot food; the next it might be time to buy heartworm meds or an unexpected vet bill. GROCERY. One week might be a light week due to lots of inexpensive dishes, the next might be time to feed company with a higher cost. I find it sort of evens out throughout the year. I learned to leave extra overages in their respective envelope. I do that with my BLOW money too.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't do the envelopes, but I do budget. If I have any LO $, I put it in a box & use it as "rainy day fund". When it adds up, I take it to the bank. I put it in a special savings acct..which will be for my deductable for health insurance when we retire. (hubby older than me) AND-OH CRAP-that's a another thread in itself!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If I did an envelope system, I would determine a cap on the amount in each envelope, and then roll the money over into the next month. Once I hit the cap, I would start putting that towards an emergency fund, savings, debt, whatever is extra that could use the money.

I would document how much you are using each month, as well as how much is being rolled over, and then adjust the contributions accordingly.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I did use the envelope system, but was wary about carrying around so much cash with me. I now budget on the computer - any of my left over money right now is going to debt (although that is not technically 'left over money' but extra money). I think it's amazing idea to leave it there and put a cap on it. If I had left overs that's what I would do, then put to debt/savings after that. Good question!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depends what category is over, groceries I carry over in case I see a sale and stock up. All the others I put into a mini EF, my normal EF receives funds automaticly from my checking.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Mine was BEF until that was established and now it rolls into credit card snowball.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I carry it forward and every 6 months I put overages into savings.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Once my desired max amount/envelope was met, I'd use the overage and make an extra payment to debt or add to savings (EF) or retirement (RRSP) If the overage was small, I'd pool the monies in a separate envelope until it was enough to make a substantial extra payment towards debt.

Another thought - you could just set it aside in its own envelope marked 'overage' for those smaller unaccounted for surprises where you don't want to touch the EF (though thats what its for)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I didn't use the envelope system, just a weekly budget (on paper) but when our income was higher, I took the extra at the end of every week, put half back in the "envelope" (budget line item) and put the other half into savings. It was up to me every week how to divide up the savings half - sometimes I put it all in the EF, sometimes I put it into several different savings funds I had going. It was usually small amounts but I also kept a running total and I managed to put aside €300 in about 10 months of doing that.

Ultimately I stopped doing that because with our income reduced, we now have many weeks where I can't put anything into the "envelope" so I need the extra to carry over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I roll over every category except Food and the extra from that envelope goes into a separate envelope that eventually goes towards debt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts