Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I made a pork roast and roasted veggies..

I usually just make stew out of the leftovers. But that's getting old.

Any other ideas to use them for tomorrow?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I throw whats left (-the veggies) into the crockpot with salsa, then make burrito's or enchiladas with it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made soup out of my roast leftovers. I added a few more things and some spices, threw it in the slow cooker and it turned out great.

You could also shred it up, add barbecue sauce and make sandwiches.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A favorite for DH is hot roast sandwiches with a nice coating of gravy on top. :toothy:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Shred it and put some barbecue sauce on it. You can either serve it on sandwiches or I would make quesadillas out of it. Add some cheese and sauteed onions and peppers. Yummy....

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Throw it into a ziplock and make something new tonight and make it nextweek when your not so tried of it. I find that nothing will drag my families frugal life style down like too many leftover meals. So I space them out the best I can.
Sometimes it means just serving the current leftovers up in a day or two.

Laurie in Bradenton

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I usually make a "pot pie" out of any leftover roast....beef or pork. I do the same with chicken or turkey.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I usually make a "pot pie" out of any leftover roast....beef or pork. I do the same with chicken or turkey.

That's what I do too. I throw it all in a casserole...meat, veggies, potatoes, gravy...then top it with biscuit batter and bake it. Delicious :D

·
2,688 Posts
When we cook a small pork loin roast, it gets cut into slices. Leftovers, I hope there is enough for a few sandwiches for a second meal. Hubby has this bad habit of snacking on the meat leftovers, so sometimes I get surprises when I go to make a meal from any leftovers.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Make hot pork sandwiches with the meat.....make up some gravy, then some mashed potatoes.

Lay down 2 halfs of a slice of bread with a scoop of potatoes in the middle. Put your shredded pork on the bread, then put the tops of the breads on making your sandwich. Cover it all with hot gravy and eat!! Delicious!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I made Rachael Ray's Everything Lo Mein with mine:
Everything Lo Mein
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
hr min
Cook Time:
15 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 servings
Ingredients
Sauce:
• 3 rounded tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 3 tablespoons dark soy, eyeball it
• 3 tablespoons water, eyeball it
• 2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
Everything Lo Mein:
• 1 pound spaghetti
• Salt
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 3 chicken breast cutlets, thinly sliced into strips
• 3 thin cut pork chops, thinly sliced into strips
• Black pepper
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 inches fresh ginger, chopped or grated
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 6 scallions, cut into 3-inch lengths then sliced lengthwise
• 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters, seeded, then sliced
• 1 small can sliced water chestnuts
• 2 cups fresh bean sprouts, 4 generous handfuls or 1/2 pound shredded cabbage, your choice
Directions
Mix together sauce ingredients and reserve.
Bring pasta water to a boil, salt water and cook spaghetti to al dente.
While pasta cooks, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large, nonstick skillet over high heat. When oil ripples, add beaten eggs and scramble them to light golden brown, remove and reserve.
Season the meat with salt, pepper and coriander. Heat the remaining vegetable oil to a ripple, then add meat and stir-fry 4 minutes, push meat to the side and add ginger, garlic and veggies. Stir-fry veggies 2 minutes, then drain and add pasta and eggs back to skillet. Pour sauce over the spaghetti and toss to combine. Turn off pan. Toss 30 seconds and let the liquids absorb.

·
8,714 Posts
~We also like enchiladas with leftover pork. Something else that's easy to make is sweet & sour pork. Here's the recipe I use, which was brought back from Japan with my MIL:

Sweet & Sour Sauce

Combine in small saucepan:
6 TB sugar
2 TB soy sauce
4 TB wine vinegar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
3 TB catsup
In a small bowl combine:
1/2 cup water
2 TB cornstarch

Bring contents of saucepan to boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir 1-3 minutes until dark and thick.

Serve this with warmed up pork, cooked rice, and steamed veggies. :) ~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts