Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time i make a pan of cornbread (or even muffins), i have some left over.

i dont have a smaller pan (and it'd end up too thin if i just used less)... so what ideas do you have for re-using cornbread?? :)

tia!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I throw a stuffing type concoction together with apples and onions. I saute the onion and apple, then add it to the crumbled up cornbread. Mix with some chicken stock then throw it on a cookie sheet to bake for a bit. It's really good.

Reactions: perSue

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
a bowl of cornbread and milk for breakfast.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You could cut a piece in half and pour milk over it for breakfast. I think you heat it up, but I am not for sure because I don't eat it like that.

Cut a piece in half, zap it in the microwave, butter it, and drizzle syrup over it and eat it like a pancake.

Throw it in the freezer and make stuffing with it when you have enough saved up.

Use it instead of a English muffin or bagel for breakfast sandwiches.

Serve it as a snack. It would be great as part of an after-school snack for kids.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I just googled cornbread and milk and found this quote. I found it amusing and instructive on how frugal things we had in childhood can become favorites.

22 November 1953, Ada (OK) Evening News, “Haven’t Eaten Cornbread? Then You Haven’t Lived” by Cal Tinney, pg. 4, cols. 6-7:
I’m a cornbread eater from way back, way back in the woods, that is. Cornbread crumbled up into a glass of milk was as close to heaven as we got. After a meal of cornbread and milk cattlemen loved sheepherders, Democrats loved Republicans and athiests could see good in missionaries.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I usually make croutons out of it :)

I have a recipe for sweet cornbread made in a 9x9 pan if you want that ~ I rarely have leftovers.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
What is this "leftover cornbread" you all speak of? :invisible It disappears at my house.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I usually make croutons out of it :)

I have a recipe for sweet cornbread made in a 9x9 pan if you want that ~ I rarely have leftovers.

Yes, please post your recipe for your sweet cornbread! I would love to have that recipe.... :chef2:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
I just cut mine in half & lightly toast,cut side up. I have it for breakfast with honey or butter on top. That with a nice cup of tea & I'm starting my day off with a smile.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Really? Cooked greens or salad type? Is it absolutely delicious?
Yes my family loves it.

We use about 6- 8 cups of lettuce ( mixed greens or mostly romaine)

leftover cornbread

1 cup cooked kidney beans

1-2 cups shredded cheese ( I use mostly cheddar or Mexican mixed)

1/2 red onion

1 chopped tomato

2 cups of corn kernels

1 chopped or shredded carrot

I usually add a cup of leftover roasted chicken( as we always have some left)

Homemade ranch dressing

Hope you like as much as we do!

Reactions: JENROY

·
Registered
882 Posts
What is this "leftover cornbread" you all speak of? :invisible It disappears at my house.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Between dinner and bed time...it's usually gone!

Otherwise, I just cut it in half, heat it in the microwave and put a little butter on it and have it for breakfast...Yummy!

·
Registered
405 Posts
cornbread and milk for breakfast
sliced cornbread toasted with jam for breakfast
cornbread crumbled and baked on top of chili beans makes almost a tamale type of flavor

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You could also put leftover cornbread in suet for the birds they love it too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts