Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been Reading my Tightwad Gazette book, and Amy recomends the Refrigerator Potato Dough. Later in the book, someone sent in a suggestion for a hot pocket type of idea made with this dough using leftovers, ect.

The reader calls them "Bunches of Bunches" and suggests taking 1/4 cup of the dough, rolling it out into a circle, and fill with ingredients, and roll up, pinching together. Bake 400* 15 minutes. She states that it is a good way to use up leftovers and kids can even make them.

I do freeze leftovers sometimes, even small bits of leftover casserole. I have a broccoli casserole in the freezer now, and some leftover pizza beans casserole. My idea was to thaw some of these and put about 1/4 cup or so in the middle of the dough, and then I could bake them, and send them with the kids to school!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
In the southwest we call those empanadas! For recipe ideas you can look up that word, or 'hand pies'. You can put anything in them, I find that leftover roast beef and vegs is really good.

In my experience a bread dough or specially made empanada dough works best, as it holds up to traveling. Pie crusts work, but don't travel well, they will crumble or break if tossed around in a backpack, so I only use those when serving them at home.

·
4,028 Posts
Alton Brown did a meat pie episode and used a biscuit dough that was worked a little longer so it wouldn't crumble but offer a little firmer texture to hold the filling. I haven't made them yet but they are on my list of things to try.

Cornish Pasty is another name for them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mixed up the Potato Refrigerator dough last night.

I pulled some leftover sloppy (salsa) joes out of fridge, rolled out three of those with some sloppy joes and a little leftover provolone cheese on top and sealed shut! Mmmm! I have some leftover broccoli cooking on the stove and I plan to do some broccoli, sausage crumbles and cheese hot pockets with these for lunch!

Oooo the possibilities with these! Im thinking Pizza filling, and just almost any leftover would be good in the hot pocket potato dough!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Those dough presses are nice - I got one when I was in a Chinese cooking class, but I've seen the larger ones that would make really nice hand pies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The refrigerator Potato dough my DH really likes. It is sweet, and moist. It makes delicious pizza crusts in cast iron skillets too.

I found out I need to use a bit more cheese to bind things together.

The dough presses I am going to get are going to be similar to this....

Amazon.com: Progressive 4-piece Dough Press Set: Home & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@315J05875ZL

Scince the Refrigerator dough has yeast in it, it swells, so rolling it out thinner (but not too thin) placing it in the dough press, add the leftovers and/or filling combinations, pressing it shut, then letting it raise in a warm oven, then baking.

I am wanting to try using my leftovers I freeze in icecube trays for this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts