Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy these for using in recipes and sometimes i don't use them up and they go bad.Can I juice these before they let go and keep the juice in a bottle in the fridge?What about the freezer? I prefer the taste of fresh as to the bottled but will the fresh hold its flavor?Thanks

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I don't think fresh would last very long, but the juice of both can be frozen. If you have an ice cube tray, those work well. :)

I also like to dehydrate lemon slices (haven't tried lime yet). If you drench the slices in sugar (and I add a touch of almond extract to the sugar), they make nice additions to tea (hot or cold).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
madhen
Thanks so much for your reply.I read more and more all the time about what folks do with their dehydrators,I don't have one but will be getting one for sure.Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't think fresh would last very long, but the juice of both can be frozen. If you have an ice cube tray, those work well. :)

I also like to dehydrate lemon slices (haven't tried lime yet). If you drench the slices in sugar (and I add a touch of almond extract to the sugar), they make nice additions to tea (hot or cold).
That's exactly what I do, freeze the juice. We love lemon chicken and sometimes there's a half lemon left over, so I juice it and freeze it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Okay that sounds DELICIOUS. I don't have a dehydrator but I really wish I did so I could try that.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Only need a zester and ice cube tray and you have saved the whole fruit.

What I do:
I have been buying lemons like crazy, when on sale, then I wash and zest them all. Measure out by tablespoons, the zest, and put it in a small baggie, label and freeze. THEN I juice them, again measure out, and put in ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen I move them all to baggies, label for measurement and ingredient, and keep frozen until used.

My ice cube trays will hold about 2 tablespoons.........so that is the measure I do. If recipe calls for only one tablespoon, usually doesn't hurt to use two.

The zester is one of the best saving devices I have. I zest ALL citrus fruit............oranges, lemons, limes, even tangerines!

Learned this when I had to pay $7 for a bottle of lemon zest!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I zest ALL citrus fruit............oranges, lemons, limes, even tangerines!

Learned this when I had to pay $7 for a bottle of lemon zest!!
Funnily enough, this is the first time I have ever heard of them selling lemon zest! I didn't know you could buy it hehe. In the fall, starting around September, I slice all my lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange peels into quarters and freeze them. By Christmas I have at least a gallon. I boil them three times in sugar syrup, dry overnight on a rack, and then toss with crystallized sugar. Then I package them in pretty paper and give them as gifts. They are really yummy and people seem really touched to be given a homemade gift these days.

Reactions: chowder

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
we use lots of lemons in this house!

they are filled in decorateive bowls in the DR and LR

we use them on pasta, rice, chix, pasta

you can juice them and freeze w/ a bit of white wine or chix broth and add to pasta or marinades as needed.

if they are not rotten yet, you can always roll it a few times and microwave them for about 8 seconds and then juice them.

if the peels are not bad yet, add to boiling pasta water or rice...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.