Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is everyone from? Who are our Canucks?
I want to learn about where you all are from...Tell me about your city/town.
My name is Theresa and I am originally from Sudbury, Ontario. Sudbury is in North Eastern Ontario, between Sault Ste. Marie and Toronto. It is a mining town, home of Falconbridge Ltd. and INCO (International Nickel Company). It is a city of rocks and lakes...my favourite part of it is Ramsey Lake, which is a lake smack dab in the center of the city, surrounded by beautiful homes, and rocks and it is the heart of the city. In the winter everyone ski-doos on the lake, skis, skates and we have an annual festival on it called the Snowflake Festival which is a carnival and has ice scuplture contests, skating, sledding and tons of food!! In the summer everyone jet skis, sails, swims and walks around the lake (on the "Boardwalk").
Sudbury and its surrounding area has about 150 000 people and it used to be a big mining town but the industry has slowed down a lot so the city is trying to make tourism the next big industry. Sudbury is also famous for its wild blueberries (yummy) and its Blueberry Festival, great camping and hunting and fishing. It's has a lot of diversity, italians, ukranians, german, french, aboriginal people, almost every nationality you can think of. There are a few negatives to Sudbury: high incidence of alcoholism, the cold weather (summers are gorgeous though), the downtown is dead, the buses are horrible and not a lot for teenagers to do. Well, that's where I am from....tell me about where you are from!! Maybe we can interest and inform the Americans here about where we are from and they might come visit us!!!!;) (and they can do the same for us, I hope!!):)

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I lived in Windsor for almost 2 years while working in Detroit MI and Ann Arbor MI so tell me more about Clarkston. Is is close to Detroit or Ann Arbor? I loved Ann Arbor, I worked at U of M hospital.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yeah! Cool idea! My little town has a website that I've been wanting to share! I don't think it's been updated for a while. It is accurate though.

I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska (awesome Zoo, Art Museum, a lot of culture) I lived in Bloomington, MN for exactly 1 year. I've been to El Paso TX, and lived in Long Beach, CA for 3 years. When I came back from CA I moved to Logan, IA, then to Defiance, IA. I stayed in Defiance for about 7 years. I've been in Malvern now for 10 years.

Here's Malvern's web page. It was a high school project I think.
http://www.malvern.k12.ia.us/MalvernPages/history.html
click the links to see the pics

For some beautiful pictures of Iowa's Loess Hills look here. Absolutely amazing in the autumn! These photos were taken up north of here.
http://www.nfinity.com/~exile/loesspg.htm

This concludes your mini tour of Karen's town!

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts