Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Find my weak spots. I will have between $150 and $200 in March so help me get the best bang for my buck. I will go back and take advantage of daily sales everyday example I can get 3 cans of soup for $1 right now limit 6 a day. I will go everyday to stock.

My stockpile is at about 4 almost 5 months now-- a simple review of some items are..

9 5lb bags of flour
13 4lb bags of sugar
7 large boxes of rice
3 5lb bags corn meal
4 large boxes instant potatoes
7 boxes of teabags
10 cans of coffee
23 boxes mac n cheese
18 assorted bags of pastas
12 cans tuna
4 bottles oil
3 cans shortenin
10 boxes saltines
60 cans chicken broth
5 2lb tubs oatmeal
5 2lb mayos
4 2lb mustards
3 4lb ketchups
4 syrups
36 cans potatoes
60 cans of corn
30 cans ravioli
19 large cans pasta sauce
48 cans tomato sauce(mini cans)
7 1lb cans peaches
14 1lb cans pineapple
36 cans green beans
8 cans peas
12 cans diced tomatoes
24 canned pintos
24 canned blackeyed peas
1 gallon vinegar
1 salt
16 cans assorted soups
4 cans evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
1 bottle each corn syrup, vanilla
1 4lb baking powder
1 5lb baking soda
6 bags brown sugar
2 1lb corn starch
1 8oz cocoa powder
6 bags assorted baking chips
4 powdered sugars
8 boxes pudding mix
4 6pk popcorn
1 jar jelly
5 bbq sauces
2 salad dressings

assorted other items I didn't want to write down lol. I also have my HB&A stockpile and laundry/cleaner stockpile(8 years of homemade laundry soap)The pet stockpile has suffered and needs attention.

So, I did this is really 4 months on $150 and whatever spilled out of my grocery budget of $150.

It is never to late to stockpile!

Putting it all out here really shows me my weak spots!

NOW! I am shooting for a year for a family of 3 usually but sometimes 5.

FIND MY WEAK SPOTS!:box: Come on, let me have it!!:popcorn:

I see quite a few already but i know some of you will see things I don't see.

I try to scratch cook and avoid to much prepackage but as you can see I do buy some.

My salt, I buy sea salt and I realize I am way off there. I haven't dealt with the whole water storage issue yet except for a couple of gallon jugs--bad I know.

I only stock dry goods, canned and packaged so no icebox freezer stuff is included in this YET. In a year I will start that part. I do own a medium deepfreezer and I do buy sale meats.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and my hb&a and pet and cleaners stockpile have their own budgets and are not part of this stickpile.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
yeast
crushed tomatoes(almost a sauce)
peanut butter
jam
apple sauce
granulated sugar
spices?
lentils
dried beans
split peas
canned meats
powdered milk

It really does depend on your own preferences. Those are a few things I noticed.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Do you cook w/dried beans? You could add some dried beans,peas,etc.
I would add more powdered milk too. You could can some meat if you wanted or add some canned meats.

Reactions: Cricketlegs

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
wow...that is quite a stockpile. i'm not sure what else you would need.

Reactions: Cricketlegs

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i dont know about you. but one jar of jelly? come on.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What I would do at this point with having such a great start, is to sit down and make out a menu of meals that you cook on a regular basis.
Look up each recipe & write down the ingredients, then go through your list & see what you have already that could make that meal.

I watched a series of videos & the lady suggested just taking index cards, writing the name of the recipe & then listing all the ingredients on the card as well.
Do this with 7 dinners, 7 breakfasts, & 7 lunches.

Or you could multiply that by 2, and do 14 of each.

That way that will give you an idea of what you are lacking to fix each meal & have a better idea of something that maybe you've overlooked?
Like I see tuna fish, & mayo., but not pickles or relish?
I mean, I dunno if you even eat pickles or relish in your tuna fish sandwiches, but if so, then you would need to add some of those as well.

Great list though!:hugz:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeast
crushed tomatoes(almost a sauce)
peanut butter
jam
apple sauce
granulated sugar
spices?
lentils
dried beans
split peas
canned meats
powdered milk

It really does depend on your own preferences. Those are a few things I noticed.
I have

2lbs yeast

10 pkgs of 4lb each assorted dried beans
1 12 pkg dried milk

I do need peanutbutter and a few jellys. We are just not peanutbutter jelly people but in hard times we can be!

canned meats???We don't eat pork or seafood that is not fish.What IS canned meat??

How much more sugar do you think I need? I have 52lbs now.

We don't like split peas, lentles and my kids never really cared that much for apple sauce.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you cook w/dried beans? You could add some dried beans,peas,etc.
I would add more powdered milk too. You could can some meat if you wanted or add some canned meats.
I do need more powdered milk. I get it at walmart as my store doesn't carry what I want and I never seem to go to walmart much anymore. I will put it on my list:babybot:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have

2lbs yeast

10 pkgs of 4lb each assorted dried beans
1 12 pkg dried milk

I do need peanutbutter and a few jellys. We are just not peanutbutter jelly people but in hard times we can be!

canned meats???We don't eat pork or seafood that is not fish.What IS canned meat??

How much more sugar do you think I need? I have 52lbs now.

We don't like split peas, lentles and my kids never really cared that much for apple sauce.
Missed the sugar, and still didn't find the yeast..lol. Its a long list. I don't think you need more sugar, I only saw the powdered sugar. Canned meats, tuna, salmon, turkey, there are meatballs, as well. I'm thinking also home canned meat sauce might be a nice addition if you have a pressure canner. for us I'd include salsa. My family isn't big on beans either. They are slowly coming around. I use apple sauce in baking, as topping for things.

You have a great start. It's a matter of determining how much you need of what.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Well we don't eat PB andJ. We use gravy on our biscuits.

I don't know about you but come on,What else do you use jelly for?

I will get 1 or 2 more jars max or they will spoil and go to waste.
Jelly or jam used with something like french dressing makes a quick and easy sweet and sour sauce for chicken. A nice jam with a little cream makes a yummy dessert when sweets are few and far between. IT can be used to make something like an apple crisp, but with the jam. There are lots of options. My kids are big pb&j fans. I made Jelly last year, I have about 30 jars from my apple tree.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I would do at this point with having such a great start, is to sit down and make out a menu of meals that you cook on a regular basis.
Look up each recipe & write down the ingredients, then go through your list & see what you have already that could make that meal.

I watched a series of videos & the lady suggested just taking index cards, writing the name of the recipe & then listing all the ingredients on the card as well.
Do this with 7 dinners, 7 breakfasts, & 7 lunches.

Or you could multiply that by 2, and do 14 of each.

That way that will give you an idea of what you are lacking to fix each meal & have a better idea of something that maybe you've overlooked?
Like I see tuna fish, & mayo., but not pickles or relish?
I mean, I dunno if you even eat pickles or relish in your tuna fish sandwiches, but if so, then you would need to add some of those as well.

Great list though!:hugz:
I forgot to add to my list some things

I have--

1 jar lemon juice
2 jars sliced pickles
2 bags marshmallows
6 cans ranch style beans
2 1 gallon jars whole dill pickles
2 #10 cans diced tomatoes
3 #10 cans tomato sauce
2 #10 cans whole peeled tomatoes
4 cans chili--dh won't stay out of my chili!
56 2 cup servings of gravy mix
7 jars tabasco

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far I need jelly, powdered milk, peanutbutter, more canned fish,and applesauce.

I use the big#10 cans to make my own salsa, tomato and meat sauce for the freezer and what have you. It really is cheap I get them at sams for less than $3 each.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL my dh would pass out if I tried to give him anything sweet and sour. I like that stuff myself so I just get it when I go to chinese with my Mama or dds.

One of the things I want to make sure I have plenty of is canned fruits for cobblers, pies and dump cakes etc.

I do make my own crusts, doughs and breads so that helps. I know I need more flour as I really go through it. I have all purpose, self rising and whole wheat bread types. Mostly I have all purpose.:hungry:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I also need more evaporated milk. It really comes in handy in a pich and is a great buttermilk replacement although I need MORE powdered buttermilk--added to list

More yeast, lemon juice,for sure and vinegar, much more vinegar.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1. Caution... Bleached/unbleached flour only has a shelf-life of 6-12 months. If you normally don't do a lot of baking in the summer, that might be more than enough. Old flour makes bad baked goods. I store wheat, it has a longer shelf-life - decades - and mill my own flour. If you normally bake in the winter and not in the summer, try a schedule where you stock-up in the fall and use up the bulk of it by March.

The same for commercial cornmeal. It can quickly go rancid when placed in long-term storage if not vacuum-sealed or frozen. Oxygen is the enemy of all foods in storage. I store corn and mill my own cornmeal. I mill beans into bean flour for "instant" refried beans (takes 7 minutes to cook them).

2. Caution... You have a lot of foods that I wonder if you can reasonably use that many by their use-by dates, such as pasta sauce, tomato sauce, canned corn....? Take the number of cans, and using the use-by dates, figure how many cans of whatever (corn, green beans, tomato sauce, etc.) you will need to consume each week to use them by the use-by date. You may even want to make up menus so you know you'll have corn twice this week. If I have to use up a jar of peanut butter with a pending use-by date, that's when I make peanut butter cookies or other peanut butter treats.

I store dried tomato powder. Takes up less space, has a long shelf-life, and I can make any number of tomato-based products from it, including tomato paste/sauce, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc.

It's not enough to HAVE food, but can you use it in a timely manner. Storing dry goods in a vacuum-sealed containers using a FoodSaver does help keep them longer than just keeping it in an air-tight container or in the original bags and boxes.

3. Think ingredients for storage, not processed foods. Pinto beans - rather than cans of cooked beans or refried beans - they can be made from pinto beans and pinto beans last longer and are cheaper. Instead of boxed pudding, you can make your own pudding mixes from ingredients in storage (dry milk powder, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and unsweetened cocoa for chocolate pudding).

4. I don't see any whole grains? That's the first thing suggested in all food storage information. Grains/legumes/seeds. Emergency supply of fresh vegetables can be made from sprouting grains/beans/seeds. Does your family eat oatmeal as a breakfast food, in desserts, or do you use it for adding to meatloaf to extend the meat a little?

5. Fruit/Vegetables - you don't seem to have a good variety of fruit. I'd add some dried fruit, like raisins/currants, apricots, crasins... These are great added to homemade granola or tossed in cooked cereals. I also keep lots of home-dehydrated apples in storage - they work for snacks, applesauce, and in baked goods. I make my own fruit roll-ups from over-ripe fruit and keep them in the freezer for snacks. I'd suggest some mandarin oranges for a fairly good source for vitamin C (Aldi - 45-cents a can). Fruit juice from 100% fruit. There are cans that can be kept at room temperature and you add water.

Orange veggies. I dehydrate sweet potatoes and make them into sweet potato powder. You'd be amazed how many sweet potatoes you can stick in a pint jar.... It makes up by adding hot water.

7. Dairy: Morning Moo's Whey-based Milk Substitute for powdered milk (www.moosmilk.com), instead of non-fat dried milk from the store. Longer shelf-life, tastes like regular milk when reconstituted, I can make it double strength and use it instead of evaporated canned milk or light cream. Add sugar for sweetened condensed milk. I keep 2-3-years of this in storage at all times. I use from a 24# bucket for daily use, and keep the 4# cans in storage for long-term storage.

8. I divide food in storage into 3 categories:

a. 72-hour emergency food. This is food that doesn't require heating or refrigerating. A lot of it is single or small servings.

b. pantry foods - these are foods we use everyday for cooking and baking.

c. long-term storage (Emergency) - includes freeze-dried fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese. Dried whole egg powder (egg whites and egg yolk powder as well), dried butter, peanut butter powder. Hundreds of pounds of wheat and a large amount of other grains/seeds/beans.

9. I keep coconut oil in storage, rather than cooking oil or shortening. It has a much longer shelf-life. It doesn't go rancid like vegetable oil or shortening, and is better for you.

10. Yeast? You may also want to know how to make sourdough starter should you be without yeast or chemical leavening agents like baking powder and baking soda.

11. Dried onions. Garlic powder. Chili powder. Italian seasonings (I add it to dried tomato powder/water to make pizza sauce). Dried chicken, beef, and vegetable bouillon.

12. Salt - You probably need much more than 1 box.

13. Peanut butter? I know we use 18-oz. of peanut butter a month and am VERY careful about watching use-by dates and peanut butter in storage.

14. Nuts. Good source of protein and good fats. You can make a milk substitute that is high in calcium from almonds. Great snacks.

15. Rice - you can also make rice milk as a milk substitute. A good recipe to keep in your recipe box. Don't store large amounts of brown rice - it just doesn't have a long shelf-life. Brown rice is also best kept in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well we don't eat PB andJ. We use gravy on our biscuits.

I don't know about you but come on,What else do you use jelly for?

I will get 1 or 2 more jars max or they will spoil and go to waste.
i dont eat pb and j either. i'll added jelly to saltines and chow down. and the jelly always outweighs the size of the saltine. sugar shock is what that is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Surely though, where I live anyway, cans have a 2 or 3 year "best before" date on them, but that doesnt mean they suddenlly go off on that 2 year deadline. Its just a guide, like you might get a best before date on packaged fresh fruit or veg, but we all know it can still be used after that date.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts