Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there special ways that you conserve water? Recently I read a book Living Well on a Shoestring and the author talked about how he hated to see any water wasted.

I began to think about this and am now starting to really look at ways to save water, thus helping our environment and saving $$ as well.

- I had already turned my water cycle on my washing machine from normal to casual which uses less water in the washing cycle.

- we had already had 2 rain barrels, but I plan on purchasing more. We keep lids on them so that we won't have any mosquitoes breeding.

But now I'm looking at all the water I use. I just used my canner to can some jam and its 1/2 full of water. I'm going to let that water cool down, and I'll use it for watering my plants outside, thus saving the rain water for when its not raining.

This winter, I'll move the rain barrels into the house and melt snow to use for watering plants and I'll even use some of the melted snow for washing clothes.

I'm looking at other ways to conserve water, so how about sharing some of the things you do to conserve water.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Some people may not agree with this, but I bathe 2 kids in the same water. We also use a wading pool for the kids to play in in the summer not sprinklers. Wash on a faster load. And mainly teach the kids to not leave the water running while doing other things. Oh and quick showers, but that is mainly due to the kids.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Great topic!

We have rain barrels here as well. I water my roses with my dish water from the sink and I get the boys to haul out the bath water to water the front flower bed...they each take a watering can and fill up.

Limit showers.

I am going to check out the casual cycle on my washing machine, didn't know there was one? :confused:

Have a pitcher of water in the fridge instead of standing at the sink and letting the water run.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
For starters, we got rid of our waterbed:D

Whenever I empty out the dog's bowl of water, the chicken waterers or the kiddie pool, I dump the water into my garden. But, before we dump the water from the kiddie pool, the dog gets a bath in it.

I have my dishwasher set on the water saver cycle- so it only uses 3-4 gallons of water total. If I have alot of laundry to do like all the bedding from the beds- I go to the laundry mat. I wash my car at the car wash, since most of them reuse the water.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
we turn off the water when we brush our teeth, I don't run water while doing dishes, I have water saving showerhead, washing machine and toilet (and still have a weight in the toilet) I plan on doing the rain barrel that Sara posted.....

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I bathe 2 kids in the same water.
I've always done that when my older 3 were todlers. I think it's ok; we save water and time.:)

We have a stopper on our shower head. We can stop it when we lather with soap or wash our hair, then open it back on when we need to rinse.

I wanted to install a rain saver too, in my yard, this year.

I put a large pitcher of water in the fridge, so we don't let the water run to have cold.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
This winter, I'll move the rain barrels into the house and melt snow to use for watering plants and I'll even use some of the melted snow for washing clothes.
That's an interesting way to save water, CJ!:) I'll try that next winter!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I also bathe the kids together,and dh and I shower together:D !! We have a low flow shower head that can be turned off and we turn the water off while brushing our teeth and I wash dishes and clothes on the lightest cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts