Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope and plan to buckle down and follow the advice of this forum.I have some big roadblocks, obsessive compulsion and addiction issues. My official dx is either bipolar or schizo affective depending on which way the wind is blowing, so this throws a big monkey wrench into my hopefully frugal lifestyle. I've started returning the silly things I have bought of late. I have paid off a few credit cards and have three left with balances over 1000$,I plan on snowballing them and most likely closing them. I've been reading about some things like essential household cleaners( having ocd well, this is important...)SO I have on hand a few cleaners I got a Trader Joes. a couple cans of clorox wipes for the cold and flu season. A vinegar borox, baking soda solution for the bathroom plus a diluted vinegar solution for glass. Oh and murphey"s oil soap for the floor and barkeepers friend. I don't make my own laundry detergent, but I get arm and hammer free and clear or any other free and clear on sale. Use oxi clean etc.... Borox and vinegar toilet cleaner. I know I'm jumping all over, forgive me. I inherited quite a bit of money, and am taking care of the family home which is in a trust. I have asked my sister to set up an irrevocable trust with the money that is left, so she will be in control and I won't be able to just grab a 1000 here and 3000 there to use at my discretion.( this I should have set up early on when I inherited it, because I've taken several thousand to pay down credit cards, and a big chunk to fix the house, although that was necessary and my sister approved it.) All is not lost I still have a large nest egg. I plan on living on my salary my fiance's salary and the income from his son's rent I hope to bank most of that. I work in Michaels, love my job,though it is a low paying retail gig.I bring home a little over 800 a month before taxes. The rent is 500. and my fiance's salary fluctuates as he is a commissioned sales person. He is going back into insurance( he was a broker years ago, a much safer job than what he does now, more steady, though he may take a pay cut for a bit.) I am also a painter( dangerous working at michaels, but since I've started I've only spent 1 paycheck amount of money though that's not saying much. I've been there four months. I have been trying to read some financial literature, but my focus isn't good(through add in there too, I take medication but only when I work) I hope I don't screw up this job. I am going to start with a therapist, he does well with addiction and PTSD, these things affect me,and well cause trouble for me. I have a long psych history, and other stuff,I know some of you know me, I didn't know where to put this thread. But it's mostly the financial that concerns me, the others Im getting control of with baby steps. I am hopeful for the future and plan on visiting this site much more.

thanks for reading my ramble

Patty

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Sounds like you have a much better plan than in the past and more imp. safeguards to ensure it. I am impressed. Remember set backs are just that and not something to plunge or barrate yourself about. I wish you all the best w/ the new therapist and your job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You need to take your meds EVERYDAY wheither you are working or not. The addiction issues stem from this sector of your life. The best thing you can do for yourself and those you love/who love you; is to take your meds consistently, wheither you feel you need to or not. Free advice. Free is good for the frugall, no? :vs_wave:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I DO take my meds every day, the ones Im supposed to. The doctor prescribed concerta only to be taken five days a week when I work.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Patra-I missed the med thing. Do you know why he said that? Dh is on Concerta and he takes it every day,the Extended release. As it is he cuts out around 5-6p.m. Is it because of your other meds?? Taking Concerta that way can really bounce your moods up and down. Not being critical just somewhere between conserned and confused, I am also going to ask DH is he actually does take it on the weekends.
asked Dh and he said everyday because its too hard on your system and he gets a brutal headache.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Nice to see you Patty! You seem to be giving it your best go, and that is the most important. Hopefully your therapist can help with the urge to spend!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Due to your medical/mental issues have you considered having a third party work with you to pay your bills and help you budget cash spending for food, gas, etc. I'm not suggesting this as a permanent thing, but as a way to help you as you're working to change of your bad spending habits. It will take several months to develop new better habits. You'd want someone you could sit down with to pay the bills and who could guide you on your other spending until you feel ready to take over on your own. An accountability partner at minimum would be a huge help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi folks- was in the hospital for a week. I could do the spending budget with my sister; I'm sure she would help me. I was taken off the concerta while inpatient. I'll write more another time I think

1 - 8 of 8 Posts