Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister gave my daughter a Little House on the Prarie book - it's a junior version with one little story and lots of pictures based on the concept - as opposed to the real stories written by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
So I watched the show with my daughter. (As my daughter is only 4 years old, I do have to read what the show is about before I watch it with her as some were pretty intense - dying babies, alcoholics beating their families).

Anyhow, I'm explaining to my kids how hard they worked, how much pride they had, how everyone in the family helped out and did their job, how important everyone's jobs were, how badly they felt when they were in debt to the Olsens, how little money they had, how little toys the kids had, how carefully the girls took care of their things etc.

Definitely makes me feel like a spoiled brat as I was sitting there in the middle of the day knitting watching this show, whereas these people were working their butts off to literally survive.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Kinda makes you think of The Waltons and our parents during the depression.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Those books are awesome! We have read the whole series aloud several times and are now onto the Caroline years (Laura's ma). We also read the Rose years, but I was not as impressed with those. They worked very hard for what little they had and yes they were proud of it.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
I love it, too...it's truly is my favorite show...and I watch it often...nearly daily!! :)

I think the hard-working, honest and moral behaviors that they live out each day are so admirable. I would love to step back in time to that...even with the unending and demanding manual labor...

One of my "pet peeves" in today's world is the laziness...there seems to be a severe lack of a "work ethic" in many folks these days...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I read those books when i was in elementary school and LOVED them. I do think they give you a notion of working hard for what you have an appreciating things. I also hope i never have to work that hard and that my son wont either. but that he understands how privledged he is to grow up in an industrialized nation with so many modern conveniences and that he takes time from his life to help those who are not as fortunate as we are here in america and abroad.
perhaps those books are a good jumping off point for a service project.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
me too i miss that on t.v. and lonesome dove, Quinn medicine Doctor, Waltons omg . I wish i could afford the season boxes 1,2, 3 , i would buy them right up if I could.
Also the Adams family B/W, The munsters, Andy Griffin Show. ahhhhhhhh i love the older shows !!!!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I loved that television series. Too bad they don't make family programs like that anymore. One of the few programs that would sometimes make me cry.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm glad we don't have to work that hard anymore, but I think we're missing a lot of values because of how times have changed. I often wish for things to just be simpler. It's strange now the things I think I could find pleasure in. My dd is slowly working her way through the series. I think she's on book five or six now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What impresses me, is the lack of stuff. Things, in some way were so simple then. Someone on the show was going to move, and it took them around 2 hours to pack everything in their wagon. How many hours and how many wagons would it take for us to move? And does all of this stuff really improve the quality of our life? To a certain extent yes (for example appliances, etc). But I think that after a point, the stuff becomes a burden. Notice how the Ingalls just have the 1 special doll that sits on the mantel. Toys aren't strewn all over the place like at our house, we have so much stuff we are tripping over it, and yet I know that we have a lot less than many other families. Anyway, I love the show, especially when the girls were little.
Jo

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
What impresses me, is the lack of stuff. Things, in some way were so simple then. Someone on the show was going to move, and it took them around 2 hours to pack everything in their wagon. How many hours and how many wagons would it take for us to move? And does all of this stuff really improve the quality of our life? To a certain extent yes (for example appliances, etc). But I think that after a point, the stuff becomes a burden. Notice how the Ingalls just have the 1 special doll that sits on the mantel. Toys aren't strewn all over the place like at our house, we have so much stuff we are tripping over it, and yet I know that we have a lot less than many other families. Anyway, I love the show, especially when the girls were little.
Jo
Exactly!! I'm currently working for a moving company and to daily see the massive quantities of material goods that people have is jaw dropping. If you have regularly furnished rooms (not overly cluttery) each is usually 1000 - 1500 pounds per room (kitchen, bedrooms, living room, dining room). Think about the emmense weights that comes to. That's not counting when people have packed sky high garages and storage sheds!! Does anyone really need that much stuff? :surprise:

My Dh and I are slowly getting rid of things and simplifying our lives... It's been a long journey...still a ways to go...but it does feel better as we get rid of various things... Clutter really bothers me...and until we started "pairing down" I didn't realize that it weighed on me like it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts