Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm just wondering if maybe you'd all like to share some of the small things you might do to help avoid frugal burn-out.

I know that in the past when I was so obsessed with being frugal, after awhile I totally got burned out with it and then ended up going to the other extreme for awhile. :bang:

Love,

Jennelle

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
You need to set up a budget and in the budget include a blow fund. Use the blow fund to do something you might consider unfrugal. This way you are not going to feel deprived. Sort of like including a small piece of chocolate when you are on a diet.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I use coupons and go to a restaurant, so that someone else does the cooking and clean-up. This comes out of the entertainment fund.

I treat myself to chocolate on occassion. Also once a month, my dh treats me to a Dairy Queen Blizzard shake.

We have very little discretional money, so these things when saved up for seem to feel like I have really indulged myself. It keeps me from frugal burnout.

auntie

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I keep my balances checking, savings etc on a piece of paper on the refrigerator. every wek I up date it. When I am really feeling less frugal than I should I just take a look at the columns of money that we are saving in our accounts and I bounce right back with Yea!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have a small entertainment/me fund each month. When I get a hair cut it comes from this. I also buy a large bag of cat food each month to donate to the cat shelter where I volunteer and that comes out of this fund. If I go out with a friend for an inexpensive lunch it comes from here. I rarely buy anything for myself, but if I do it comes from this fund. This allows me to not feel so guilty about using some money on myself each month.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I still allow myself a latte each week.

And while I don't buy many material things, I definitely still allow money for going out to eat, as this is my main form of "entertainment." I figure I'm not going to completely give up a life of things I enjoy now just to chuck another $50 in savings.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Little indulgences to congradulate yourself are a good idea. Having goals really keeps me motivated. Another thing I do is read the success stories in the TWG and that helps me stay focused.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I like to go to yard sales. I can spend just a couple of dollars and still walk away with a 'treasure'. :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I set up a 'comfort drawer', and keep small luxury things in it, or things that make me feel good. Every day at tea time (around 3 p.m.) I sit down and use some of the things in the drawer, or look through them, and feel really special and pampered.

My tea time includes mood music on the CD player, decaf green tea (good for your heart), a piece of chocolate or candy, 1-2 c. of red seedless grapes with 1 c. yogurt, possibly some crackers and cheese (depends how hungry I feel). I settle down with a good library book, my Bible, a special letter, or a small family photo album I keep tucked in my 'comfort drawer'. I take a half hour to an hour break.

I serve the tea and goodies on a silver tray I picked up at the thrift store ($2), with a linen napkin (I made it when I was little) to add some elegance.

I keep the chocolate and tea in my comfort drawer. Also some votive candles that I burn to help scent the room. Needless to say, everything is double and triple wrapped to keep smells from transferring. I really don't like the thought of vanilla scented chocolate.:)

Another thing I do is put on some relaxing music and give my feet a paraffin wax treatment with a spa I picked up at Excess Cargo for $20. I make myself a cup of tea and pile some magazines (from the library) on my bed to read while my feet are wrapped in towels for 20 - 30 minutes.

Because feeling 'rich' to me includes being able to treat myself out every now and then, I've made a habit of researching the cheap places to have a cup of tea and a goodie. I've found 3 places in town quite nice, where DH and I can both have tea and a goodie for under $5 total. We also treat ourselves to a fancy place for tea once a month. We don't like to eat out because the food is often more than we can eat and off my diet. So tea is a nice compromise.

Another thing I do is go on my own art gallery walk, where I visit some of the commercial galleries in town, just looking, and then take myself for tea afterwards. We have a free provincial gallery in town that DH and I often go to and then head for tea. But honestly, we both prefer tea at home. Where else do you get it served on a silver platter with a linen cloth?!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi!

I'm just wondering if maybe you'd all like to share some of the small things you might do to help avoid frugal burn-out.

I know that in the past when I was so obsessed with being frugal, after awhile I totally got burned out with it and then ended up going to the other extreme for awhile. :bang:

Love,

Jennelle

I visit my wonderful village! :D

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I 2nd the visit to Frugal Village but I give ourselves a treat every month but adding it into our budget even if it's a pack of reeses peanut butter cups, sometime reqarding yourself for sticking to your budget is what keeps you motivated and on track.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Having lots of varieties of hot tea... Renting one movie per month and popping popcorn (in a pan, not the micro) and putting parmesean cheese on it for a fun movie night. Going for walks with hubby... Taking my coupon to JoAnn's and gettin' something 40% off (total cost less than $5). Sometimes it's just fun to have a new craft item. :) Takin' a bubble bath!!

Ok, those are my ways of "spoiling" myself. :D Also, I like to read frugal books (TWG rocks!!), talk to others who are frugal, and Dh and I have been working together to reduce our debts. Making lots of progress! That right there keeps me pluggin' along! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looking at my signature helps.

Also, treating myself once in a while. Sometime soon I am going to go get a pedicure but I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can show it off.

·
Registered
579 Posts
We go out to eat and a movie.......lunch and a matinee. It helps avoid burnout.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I also build small treats into my budget. I always have a scented candle on my nightstand that makes my room smell yummy. I find it so relaxing to hop into bed, light a good scented candle and read. When I blow out the candle before going to sleep, I leave the lid off and it continues to scent the room.

·
8,714 Posts
~My biggest trick to spoil myself on a budget is to upgrade something that is already on my "need" list. For example, when I need sneakers and plan on spending $30 I shop around online for a top brand at a clearance price. Last year I bought 2 pair of Merrell shoes at half price for $35 each. My wardrobe is almost all brand-name bought at clearance and thrift store prices. It's a huge thrill to use my Bath & Body Works products, then slip into my Victorias Secret unmentionables, then top it off with Gap jeans, A Kenneth Cole top and Merrell shoes and know that I spent one tenth of original prices. I could have spent the same amount on Suave products and Walmart clothes but where's the thrill?~

·
Registered
442 Posts
I go to the library!

One of my worst splurges has always been books, and I married someone just like me. When I come home with a stack of great new (to me) books, I can't wait to dig in. Once I'm fully involved in a book, I forget everything else, including any urge to indulge in a spending spree.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
i come on line and look for ideas frugally of course, to help spring come faster in the house. lol
Also i go to the dollar store and once a week buy a treat for myself, and love my teas, thats my thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the idea of a little pampering. Giving myself a manicure, pedicure or facial at home is way cheaper than getting one at the salon. Plus, I can choose my own music, scented candles, and tea. After Christmas I bought some clearance baskets of bubble baths, lotions, etc, and when I'm feeling burned out I can open one up (like a little present to myself!) and have a lovely hot bath. Very theraputic. :bath:

If I feel the need to shop, I'll go the the Thrift Store or Value Village without the kids, and take my time looking through everything I like, not just the toys and kids clothes. It can be hard to look for things for myself with a 2yr old and a 5yr old in tow!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts