Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in money mistakes that Danielle would like to write checks instead of using debit card. Well, me too. I've been thinking about it for a long time, because I find I use it way too much!

I'd really like to use the envelope system and never use my debit card. I find we spend more and don't see the end of it....With the envelope system, when there's none left, there none left.

I don't have a credit card. I got rid of it.

Anyone live without a debit card?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I always use the debit card. I don't carry cash on me most of the times. If I have cash, I find it goes a lot quicker than if I use the card. I love mine, and wouldn't want to give it up.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I write checks all the time because of where I live. In the city (Winnipeg), very few places will take checks so you either pay with cash or debit cards. In fact, in a number of mom and pop places, they will give you a discount if you pay by cash, because it costs them money when you use a debit card.

It is possible though to live without a debit card, crumb we did it for years before they were ever in exsistence.

One thing I find is when I pay by cash, once the cash is gone I know there is no more to spend. When I take my debit card, I always know there is something in the bank if I want to purchase something. I hate breaking $20 bills.

We have used our debit card less and less each year and have been paying with cash or whenever we can, with checks.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have a problem with using the debit card and not writing it down. I have bounced more checks since I've had this card (since March). I am going back to writing checks, I can't afford the $32.00 overdraft fee! :eek:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have had my share of bounced virtual checks too because of not writing them down, but I find that my money goes farther with the debit card. Once or twice paying a big overdraft fee did it for me. I couldn't function without my debit card, plus if you have the one with a visa card logo, it protects your purchases like a credit card and they stand by that claim!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
No debit card here. I think that if you don't see the money exchanging hands, you forget how much you have spent.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I very rarely use my debit card. In fact the only place I do use it is at Aldi's where they won't take checks. I have a fear of forgetting to write the transaction down ;)

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
We rarely use our debit cards...mostly at the pumps....I don't carry cash and most gas stations wont take checks....but I do try to either keep the reciept or I have the checkbook with me and write it down asap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
NO debit card here....checks usually...we live in a small area and you can write checks everywhere...the only place I can think of that dont take checks is the nail place ...they are cash only..

~C~

·
Registered
341 Posts
We don't even have a debit card. I pay my bills by check, and everything else is cash. I carry a certain amount of cash with me, and when it's gone, I'm done spending. Simple as that, and no fees!;) I do live in a rural community and most every place still takes checks, so no problems there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts