Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me begin by saying that there are a variety of ways of dealing with this particular parenting quandry, and that no one way is better than another. They are all just different. I do not want to open up a can of worms and have people angry with each other, I simply need some honest thoughts and personal opinions about this topic.

Julia is now 2 and 3 months old. We have been potty training for what seems like forever and it just doesn't seem to be clicking. There is no rush, as she's still young, but still, I don't want her to think we can go on like this forever. My question is this: Pull-Up pants...good or not? I got 4 free packs today at ShopRite just in case. If we decide not to use them, we can always sell them at the garage sale.

So, could you please weigh in on one side or the other of this argument? I'm going to take everyone's opinions into consideration, and ultimately, dh and I will decide what's best for dd. We are the first of our friends to have any kids, so you guys are my resource for this question. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new, but I always have an opinion! :D

For me, and my two children, I found that pull-ups during the day didn't work. My kids totally treated them like diapers and just went right ahead in them. At night was another story. One child only ever went in them on accident and the other child went in them regularly. :confused: Anyway, in our case, we were better off without pull-ups.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I thought putting mine in training pants did it... they hated being soggy and yucky, and that was all they needed to get them on the potty.....

BTW... who is going to get angry or heated over a potty question ? LOL

·
27,948 Posts
It's been a long time, lol but we did the big girl big boy underwear thing. We went to the store & let them pick what underwear they wanted (cute characters) and they seemed to not want to get the big girl/guy underwear wet or dirty.

Good luck Amy!:)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
It worked for me. My little guy liked them because they looked like big boy panties and I didn't have to worry about changing clothes 50 times a day. If they work for you, use them. If they don't, that is ok too. I would just give them a try. Try them for a month and see what is happening. You can always not buy them when they are all gone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tried them and mine used them as a diaper.It was cheaper to just buy diapers for night use as I was training 1 and still had 2 in diapers and then the other 2 trained TOGETHER:EEK:no twins just a yr apart each......LOL I however had a"unusual"method of training.........that my Dear Grama told me she used.And she was right!! Now I am going to share but please no flames:) During the day AT HOME my boys wore long tshirts and no bottoms........they wet once and never again. Sounds kinda yuck but it worked!Anthony trained himself a week before Brandon came,he was 2 and Chris and Brandon trained together at around 2 and 3. It worjked for us but may not be acceptable for all!JMTCW

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I never used them. When my boys became potty trained they were around 3 1/2-4 and when it happened it was all over after a few days. lol I have no merit...I just waited until they didn't want diapers anymore. :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I think it depends on the child. We tried pull ups with all 4 and the first three did well with them and treated them like undies, but Halle is a whole different story. She refuses to use that potty and pull ups were like a diaper to her. So I switched back to diapers because of the cost. I would try a pack and see maybe they will work for her.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well, first, when my boys were potty training, we didn't have pull ups!
Aside from that though, as a daycare provider we did not like them. They seemed to confuse the children, ages 18 mos to 3. The children treated them as diapers, and when you have more than 1 at a time going through PT, it tough to be chaning them. They never came apart easy enough, and when there were 3-4 babies needing changes, it was hard!
With, just 1 it may not be as bad, but I still would go with regular training pants! Those children in the day care seemed to be trained faster and with less hassle than the pull-ups users.
How ever, nothing will work until baby is ready on her own to go through PT!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I tried pull-ups and mine used them the same as a nappy (diaper) :( I also thought they were harder to change when they did?

My youngest is 3 and only just trained, we resorted to bribery and all sorts and she just wasn't having any of it! When she was ready that was it ~ all over night and NO accidents.

I didn't really 'train' any of my five ~ well I tried with the first then I just stopped stressing and left it up to them. (I'm basically lazy lol)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I tried them as well and had no success. The boys used them as a diaper. When I finally began to just make them pick out some "big boy" underware and wear them, they begin to feel that they were wet and didn't like it.

Good luck in the potty training adventure.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
the old pull ups were great, they worked for ds. then they changed them so they abosrbed like a diaper so there is no feeling of being wet. i think if they left them they way they used to be and the kids could tell they were wet, they would be great. we had to switch to the thick training pants that you wash.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm with Denise on this one--my kids just used them as diapers, and it was cheaper to keep buying the diapers--but I didn't want to put them back in diapers after trying the Pullups, so I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Rubber pants and underwear worked for me. Will use this method on DD3 also. Both girls trained at 2 1/2 for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amy, my middle daughter now 8, wasn't potty trained until well over 3. She drove me nuts but she just wouldn't get it. We never used pull ups , could'nt afford them, but she started wetting the bed so we used them then. Also my oldest , her mother would put pull ups on her and she treated it like a diaper. It took a long time to get her trained. Just relax and go with what feels right to you and your dh. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I tried pull-ups with my youngest, and had no luck with training as long as she was wearing them. I switched to the washable training pants, and that worked so much better. If she wet in those, they were very soggy and uncomfortable. My oldest was trained at 18 months, the youngest at about 26 months.

Deb

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Thanks for asking this question, Amy. I was wondering whether to spend money on Pull Ups or not. I'm leaning towards not.

Tyler is 2½ now and just doesn't quite get it yet. :) I have decided not to stress though... he has his potty and he asks to sit on it once in awhile and does nothing, but at least its there when it does happen. lol

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have been told to try bribery by a friend of mine... I haven't tried it yet, but I think I may with my midle child.... DD is 3 1/2 she has accidents all the time.. She doesn't have acidents at daycare but she does at home, I think she just gets too busy playing to stop and go potty. BUT what I did with my oldest dd is I tried pull ups...she treated them as a diaper, then I decided that I would just put her in big girl panties...she got it withing a week or so of switching to panties.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We did the big kid underwear too,with great success. One thing I've learned is that they will get it in their own time,and getting angry,or upset can actually make the process take longer. We rewarded when it happened,and if there was an accident-no comment was made at all! I figured they would respond to what got them the most attention:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I use Pull Ups on ds, he uses them like diapers. If put him in big boy underwear, he doesn't care if he's wet or has poop up his back. Atleast with the Pull Ups, he can get them on and off without any help, so if he pees, I make him go change himself (Unless he poops, then I help). On the rare occasion, he will use his potty on his own without me telling him. He'll be 4 in Sept, and inside, I'm just getting aggrevated with the whole thing. I've been thinking about putting him back in diapers, since his sister is a baby and wears diapers. I don't know if the "act like a baby, get treated like a baby" logic works.

I don't find the cost of Pull Ups all that much more than diapers (especially on sale and there's $2.00 off coups). I do like them because like I said, he can get them on and off himself, which puts the responsibility of using or not using the potty in his hands.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts