Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I have no idea since I haven't gone through this yet (but will soon!).

But I do remember hearing on some show or something, how they were saying potty diapers, like pull ups, weren't great because they were just like diapers...and something about how they felt the same as diapers and wouldn't be motivated to use the potty because of that?

but, like I said, I haven't gone through this yet :D

i found that using those thick underwear things work great during the day. they are cloth, like underwear but with extra cloth down the center. He used them during the day and pull ups at night. he still has the occassional accident at night, but he wears pull ups at night, though most nights he gets through the night dry. now he uses regular underwear during the day. :)

Amy

I would say not, we tried them for awhile with DS when we started potty training.

The problem I forsee with this is that they may look like big girl pants but they still absorb like diapers. One way some children learn to go in the big potty is that they don't like having wetness against their skin.

Have you tried making some kind of animal out of the toilet and asking her to "feed it" (this idea came from a potty training book)..also if you have one of the little trainer potties give her stickers to reward her for sitting on it (she can stick the stickers to the lid of it or in a sticker book) for say a week...doesn't matter if she potties or not..then after that week tell her you will get a sticker..etc..when you go potty in the chair....and so forth...

Amy I so hear ya,we are doing the same thing with bubba,actually when is Julias bday cause cannon is 27 mo too.Anywho With Lauren I did the naked method wich worked like a charm cause the first time she peed down her leg she freaked,we did use pullups at night she would wake up dry in them in the morning and wet them instead of using the toilet,even after being potty trained during the day for 9 months.Had her sleep is undies for a week and only 1 accident ever and she's 5 1/2 now.

We did the pullups on ds and they absorbed to much. I switched to training pants (thick kind) and plastic pants. They worked better because ds could tell he was wet with them. It still took until he was 3 1/2 to really be done with the accidents. He was to busy playing most times and waited to the last second.

I tried pull-ups but they were like diapers, they keep kids dry so...
It did take forever to train one of my triplets and I found regular undies and letting them get wet and soilded though gross helped the get them to understand..
Pull-ups are really good if you are out for the day just incase and at night again just in case...

Good luck..
Eileen

Ya know, they don't have diapers in Russia. My friend raised her son there until he was 8 years old. You hold the babies over the toilet when they are about 6 months old, and make a sound (of your choosing) to make them go. They associate the sound with peeing. Her son was never in diapers.

Your stupid fact of the day, lol

I found that my kids used them as a diaper more tehn training pants so we went with just undies and those plastic covers that way they felt wet and yucky and got the idea better.
We did use pull-ups for trips out to places incase we couldn't quicky get to a bathroom.

Eileen

With each of my four kids, I kept them naked until they had their peeing under control. They just seemed to have less accidents without clothes on. Once they got better at holding it while naked, we tried out underwear (no pullups, only at night to save the mattress) for a limited time until they could hold it while wearing them for longer & longer periods of time.

I wouldn't use them for the training period though. They look like diapers, they feel like diapers (they're more expensive than diapers! :eek: ). I would just go with training pants or naked :) JMHO though. To each their own.

Adam, who is almost 3, refers to them as diapers, so that answered the question for me. If he calls them diapers, he sees them as diapers, and it's not really a step forward for us.

It was a long time ago, but summer time worked for us-- less clothes, easier to manage. I agree with the long shirt naked baby trick.

Thick heavy trainers felt like their thick heavy diapers, so switching to thin ordinary big people undies really helped. When they wet or soiled them, they could feel it much better and it just made it faster to train.

When out shopping I'd put the trainers on with plastic pants but that really didn't work well. Wasn't till I kept them in big people undies that they stayed reliably trained.

And accidents will happen. When they are too busy and wait to the last minute, they are actually stretching their bladder capacity which is a good thing even if it means a temporary clean up. (mop in aisle 4 anyone? :D ) Along with better bladder capacity they are learning control and learning when to run for the bathroom.

Pull ups only just came on the scene as I was potty training my youngest. We used regular undies and plastic pants. Mind you I also used mostly cloth diapers except for when we went out. My kids were at least three before we started training them and they were trained very quickly! Less than a week. I always figured it was just because they were ready and had nothing to do with my methods!

My ds is now 11 and we tried pull ups but like a lot of you he thought of them like a diaper and wasn't serious about using the potty!!! We did 2 different things........long shirt naked tushie deal and I bought him some "scooby do" undies and he wore them!! He wouldn't even dream of going pee pee on scooby do so they worked for us really well. Ds was fully potty trained in a week and that included staying dry at night!!

Well, my 1st (daughter) I started training way too fast! We used pull ups for a long time. They didn't work. She's now 3 1/2 and has been potty trained for quite a while now. My son who will be 2 Sunday, I still have in diapers. I am just going to take my time with him. He already likes to sit on the potty and tells me when he is wet. I am letting it just happen this time, I about pulled my hair out with my daughter. Everyone said it will happen when she's ready! And it did! So with my son, I am going to chill out about it and just let it happen. No pullups though!!

lol....reading about your experiences w/ pull ups, I would start to think that the diaper companies have some kind of conspiracy going on....offering a product that you think might help w/ potty training when it actually prolongs the process, thus....making you spend MORE money! lol...i too, noticed that letting the kiddos wear the regular cotton big kids underwear in combination w/ waiting till they were 2 1/2 -3 yrs of age really yeiled more positive results....also...those child "experts" don't help mothers by insisting that they start training their little ones at age 1!...believe me, I've been told that........silly isn't it?:)

I always start potty training by 16 mos. We do pull ups during the day to give them the independence of being able to bring them up and down on their own. Yami is now 26 mos and used pull ups during the day 'til about 18 mos. now just panties all day, diaper at night or for long car / shopping trips. Most days she wakes up dry. I still have cases of pullups from the freebies Walgreens had with coupons about 2 years ago so cost hasn't been a consideration.

Once the girls were about 3, I used them only at night. My older DD had a bladder problem and we used them at night until she was 5 or 6. My younger did wear them to 3 y/o head start for a time, then went to panties.

Debbie

My Dd went to the potty just fine during the day, but had to wear pullups at night...couldnt get her out of them until she went to a sleepover & felt ashamed at having to wear one...she quit using them after that.

My son never wore them, that I remember...he was really easy to potty train. I think it all depends on the child. When Dd would wear one during the day (when we first started training) she would just use it in the pull up instead of the potty, but when I took them away, she did fine, other than at night.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best. It probably wouldnt hurt to try them for a week or so & just see how she does.

BTW... who is going to get angry or heated over a potty question ? LOL [/B]

Why... POTTY MOUTHS of course!! Lmao...sorry couldn't reisist! :toothy:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.