Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't have one, you may want to purchase one.
Dd just moved into a new apt and I guess it comes with a bit of crime too. :furious:She works as a substitute teacher and went to leave to go to work this morn and she hasn't any gas in her car after just filling it 2 days ago. Grr. So not only is she out the gas money she's out of the money she would have made working today because they had to find someone else to cover the classroom.
Hope whoever did this sets himself on fire next time he does it to someone else. Really. I hate stealers.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
My coworkers and I have been talking about this... that people would really begin stealing gas. I hate that it happened to your DD.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We don't have a lot of crime here (knock on wood), but a friend of mine lives downtown Chicago and this was one of the first things she bought, when she moved there!

Gas is like anything, I guess. When it gets expensive and there is a need for it...people will steal it. Sad, really.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A lot of people are getting them .
Sorry for your DD Darlene.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
What a shame

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be out a days pay & the gas really hurts. Burns me up when hard working people get burnt for being self suffecient & productive members of society.
She's got rent to pay, student loans, food... Sorry to go on & on, I'm just mad.

Her Dad went over to bring her some gas & he's going to have her contact the police and maybe they will patrol more often or something. Would be good for her to talk to her neighbors too.
I'm sure her Dad is checking out the apt locks & all too. Grr.
I don't get riled up often and it takes me a little bit to get normal again,lol.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hey, I remember those. My parents had one on their cars in the late '70's. I hadn't thought about that but it might be a good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Gas thieves get their due, one way or another.We have friends who purchased an old RV to fix up and use.It had two gas tanks, and since it did not have a toilet system, they converted one of the tanks as a septic system to hold the sewage. They took off on vacation and called the hospital to let everyone know they would stop by there on the way home so all friends could see it. They pulled into the parking lot, went in, and came out with a group of employees. There on the ground was a gas container, a hose attached to the gas tank, and a MASSIVE pile of vomit. The fool tried to syphon from the sewage tank, thought it was gas!!!!!! It looked like the docs and nurses had a simultaneous seizure- people were falling to the ground laughing so hard. Get a locking gas cap. But remember- crooks pay. One way or another in life.HA!!!!!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Gas thieves get their due, one way or another.We have friends who purchased an old RV to fix up and use.It had two gas tanks, and since it did not have a toilet system, they converted one of the tanks as a septic system to hold the sewage. They took off on vacation and called the hospital to let everyone know they would stop by there on the way home so all friends could see it. They pulled into the parking lot, went in, and came out with a group of employees. There on the ground was a gas container, a hose attached to the gas tank, and a MASSIVE pile of vomit. The fool tried to syphon from the sewage tank, thought it was gas!!!!!! It looked like the docs and nurses had a simultaneous seizure- people were falling to the ground laughing so hard. Get a locking gas cap. But remember- crooks pay. One way or another in life.HA!!!!!
That is hysterical!!!

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There on the ground was a gas container, a hose attached to the gas tank, and a MASSIVE pile of vomit. The fool tried to syphon from the sewage tank, thought it was gas!!!!!! . But remember- crooks pay. One way or another in life.HA!!!!!
Mwahahaha! I love it!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Darlene, sorry for your daughter's gas loss, that stinks, I'd be mad too. When we lived in an apt. complex in Chicagoland, we had to get one because our gas started getting siphoned off too. You just wanna smack people some times!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I had the same problem when I lived in an apartment complex years ago. Bought a locking gas cap (less than $15) and the problems stopped.

I hope she's able to find one for her car and thwart the idiot. Is it possible for her to let the apartment manager know so they can either have security do a run by or ask the local cops to do a drive through?

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the same problem when I lived in an apartment complex years ago. Bought a locking gas cap (less than $15) and the problems stopped.

I hope she's able to find one for her car and thwart the idiot. Is it possible for her to let the apartment manager know so they can either have security do a run by or ask the local cops to do a drive through?
She now has a perfectly fitting gas cap lock on her car, will be calling the police and her landlord. Deadbolt lock for apt on it's way too.
Thanks all for listening to me grumble and your kind words. Also started this thread to warn those of you who don't have the locking gas cap to get one.Like Heather said it only costs $15 or so and will save you some $ and :furious:in the long run.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
That is a hilarious story annymoll! I love it!

The only problem with locking gas caps is if you get one with a separate key. If you lose your key you are SCREWED. Someone has to break off the cover and it gets costly. I have seen it happen several times at my workplace. Spend the extra money and get one from you dealer that can be keyed to your ignition key!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
:hurray:

ROFL,
I also remember the seventies. A lot of people got
sick and almost died siphoning gas from peoples
cars.

As soon as gas prices started to rise dh put a lock
on the gas tank.

Sorry this happened to your dd.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to your daughter Darlene. I honestly didn't know you could buy a locking gas cap. My first car you could only open the gas tank from inside the car. My current car just opens, I might have to look into this too.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hope you do Marie, it cost about $15. It came with 2 keys, one she put on her key ring, the other she gave to her boyfriend. It's made specificaly for her car & was bought at a regular automotive shop like Napa or Autozone.
It was bad enugh to be out the gas at $3.30 a gal or so but to be out a whole days pay on top of it really stinks. Well worth the $15 in hindsight.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
rotflmao!!!!!! that is too funny:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts