Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little fella STINKS!!!! I know that poop stinks and I knew no litter ever smells like roses but this is whicked!
Dexter's litter box is the standard nothing fancy open box and this is the litter I bought...

Oh and I scoop whenever I walk by the litter...

So is it my litter or the box style?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It could also be his diet. Fishy food will create smellier poop. Try a chicken-based food instead.

An opened box of baking soda in the room can help absorb odors. (rather than trying to cover it up with a scented device the cat wouldn't like)

Reactions: momof2boys2005

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Have you sprinkled a bit of baking soda in the bottom of the litter box before putting the litter in along with a tiny sprinkle on top? I'm not talking about a ton nor nearly nothing on top either. I agree with a dish (empty yoghurt container?) of baking soda in the room to help absorb odours.

Do not use scented kitty litter - it will smell like the wicked poop and scent and thats worse then just the wicked poop smell. I'd worry about the smell only if it was accompanied with the wrong texture vs the cats usual stuff.

Just a heads up - Canadian Tire has reg size small boxes of Arm & Hammer on sale for $1/each this week. This is worth stocking up!

(Costco has a 6pk of the reg sm boxes for $5.49 - not sure if you're near a Costco nor a member)

G

·
Our latest cat is allergic to clay litters, so we have to use corn litter. It is WAY more expensive, but I will say the smell of corn is a lot more pleasant!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Our latest cat is allergic to clay litters, so we have to use corn litter. It is WAY more expensive, but I will say the smell of corn is a lot more pleasant!
You might check a local farm type store I use a pellet horse bedding is almost identical to the corn based cat litter (non-clumping type)
I get a 40# bag for around $5

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya know I hate the fact that I can't fix my typo LOLOLOL!

Libby- No, I have not used any BS but I will the second I get home! Thanks for the CT info and I LOVE Costco!

Telephus44 & Bridge- Thank you I'll look into that since there are feed stores around me.

YankeeMom- Pumpkin eh...interesting!

krbshappy71- His kitty food is chicken based but I do give him 2 tsp of kitten wet food...not sure what that is I'll have to check!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Do you give him any milk? Cats become lactose intolerant as they get older.

The reason I know this is because I used to give Thomas a little milk in the AM and he stunk up the entire apartment when he went.

We now both only drink Lactose Free milk and it has made a world of difference.

Also, I feed him Meox mix indoor formula and that seems to help as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Josephhgoins- No I haven't given him any milk because I knew that milk and cats was a no-no. I have eyeballed the cat milk in the pet food secton but thought that maybe 8 weeks was a little young for the cat milk or even treats...am I wrong? Is there such a thing as Kitten food that's for "indoor cats" because I didn't notice it only "cat" formula's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used to like the Arm and Hammer kitty litter, kept smells down. I used to buy those disposable paper type of litter boxes and would just throw it all out lol Now we just wash the litter box each time we change it and we add baking soda to the bottom first and then pour litter over top.

Maybe he has allergies to his food? Even tap water can affect pets. One town we lived in, the tap was not good...and my poor cat had accidents and diarhea....Got her and us, distilled water and she was fine after that.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I also suggest trying a different food.

DH did a little experiment a few years back. He bought a more expensive brand of cat food and found out the little guys produced less poop on it. Which means he had to change the box less often. So it came out a wash -- the extra on the cat food was made up by less use of litter. But he had less cleanup to do so he was happy.

We switched to World's Best cat litter recently. OMG what a difference! It controls odor so well and it really does last 30 days in the pan (with scooping). Yeah it costs more per bag, but I don't have to buy a cheaper brand every 2 weeks, so it evens out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have nothing to add because we have the same problem....and our cat's name is Dexter too! :) (we love the show!!)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I probably is the diet he is on. Maybe upsetting his stomach. The same thing happens with my adult cats if I change their food. I usually ask them what they are eating. lol

Talk to the vet when you go for a visit about the type of food to buy that will be easy for your kitty digest. Some brands may be better than another.

Don't forget that some cats like to keep things uncovered. I read somewhere it had something to do with dominance. Another thing that happens around here. But since your kitty is still learning about covering things up it make take a while so be sure to keep the box extra clean. May give him more incentive to cover things up. I personally like the covered box since they really like to kick. He probably likes to play in it. lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
Don't forget that some cats like to keep things uncovered. I read somewhere it had something to do with dominance. Another thing that happens around here. But since your kitty is still learning about covering things up it make take a while so be sure to keep the box extra clean. May give him more incentive to cover things up. I personally like the covered box since they really like to kick. He probably likes to play in it. lol
I definitely recommend the covered litter boxes - they contain some of the smell, so you don't notice it every time you walk by.
I also put one of those automatic air fresheners in the laundry room with the litter boxes. It sprays once every 30 minutes or so. This has really helped in my house.
I use Tidy Cat litter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have tried all kinds of kitty litters and found that Tidy Cats for multiple cats works the best. We only feed our Kitney dry cat food. I also put baking soda in the cat box before puttin in the litter. Seems to work ok.

I learned my less about cheap cat litter. Shhhhheeeeeeeeewwweeeeeee!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also suggest trying a different food.

DH did a little experiment a few years back. He bought a more expensive brand of cat food and found out the little guys produced less poop on it. Which means he had to change the box less often. So it came out a wash -- the extra on the cat food was made up by less use of litter. But he had less cleanup to do so he was happy.

We switched to World's Best cat litter recently. OMG what a difference! It controls odor so well and it really does last 30 days in the pan (with scooping). Yeah it costs more per bag, but I don't have to buy a cheaper brand every 2 weeks, so it evens out.
I was thinking his food might be contributing to this too! I've been giving him Kitten Chow but I may look into something else...I remember my Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier had the same sort of positive poop change when I switched him to a higher end brand (less output & smell). I will also look into the litter recommendation. :tay:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have nothing to add because we have the same problem....and our cat's name is Dexter too! :) (we love the show!!)
LOL I'd be such a liar if I said he wasn't named after the show!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.