Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Well I haven't found one yet and we live where we have blackflies, mosquitoes and sandflies. If there is one out there that really works, I'd love to know!!!!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Making Your Own Natural Insect Repellent

Herbalist Debra Nuzzi-St. Claire suggests combining the following essential oils to make a natural insect repellent:

1/2 ounce citronella oil

1/4 ounce lavender oil

1/8 ounce pennyroyal oil

1/8 ounce tea tree oil

1/8 ounce jojoba oil

Do not use this blend undiluted on your skin. Follow these instructions for diluting:

To make an insect repellent oil that can be used on your body, add 16 ounces of jojoba or almond oil to the base oil mixture and blend thoroughly. For an insect repellent spray, add 16 ounces of vodka to the base oil mixture, pour into a spray bottle, and shake before using

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Natural Insect Repellent Recipe

In a one ounce plastic squeeze bottle of unscented lotion (available at your aromatherapy supply store) add the following essential oils:

15 drops spike lavender
15 drops tea tree
10 drops citronella
10 drops eucalyptus (globolus or
citriodorata)
10 drops cedarwood

Note: This formula is not recommended for use by pregnant women. Spike lavender and cedarwood are contraindicated for use at this delicate time. If you are prone to allergies or have very sensitive skin, try a drop of your lotion on a small area of your wrist to check for irritation prior to applying to larger parts of the body. Avoid eye contact with these potent oils. You can adjust the amounts of essential oils in your blend to suit your skin type. Experiment with different essential oils to develop your own signature blend. Get out and enjoy this magnificent time of year without unwanted flying pests to your patio, campsite or fishing hole.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I have heard to tuck a fabric softener sheet in your waistband. I know Karen did this for her little girl in the past and it worked for her.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Thanks Sherry! Yes, it worked for the baby!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Haven't tried this tip yet, but just found it and thought I would share. Rub lemon oil on your picnic table for your summer feast to keep bugs away from your food. Toss the used lemons on your charcoal to deter flying insects.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I have heard that you can dip a cotton ball in vinegar and rub it on your body. The smell is suppose to dissipate shortly and keep the bugs away for a long while. I however have given up on the natural way as my Dd is badly affected by bug bites , and have gone the way of deet.
Marcia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts