Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stepped on the scale for the first time since last fall. Ooops! I thought my jeans were getting tight, but no I never gain weight. Guess again.

I'm looking for a good, sensible, at-home weight loss program. No special meals, no meetings, no supplements. I normally eat right, veggies, whole grains, no junk food or soda, but I guess I've been getting too much of something this winter. I need something to get me back on track for spring and drop some of this burrito belly.

Does anyone want to be my diet buddy for the next 30-60 days?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I started my journey to CHANGE MY LIFESTYLE (not a diet) on December 8. I use myfitnesspal.com to keep track of my food and exercise. I am trying to make healthier choices and makes changes to favorite recipes to make them fit my lifestyle.

You will lose weight on a diet, but as soon as you stop the diet you will start gaining weight. You MUST change the way you eat for the rest of your life.

Without exercise I am only allowed 1200 calories a day IF I want to continue losing approximately 1 lb. a week. BUT on the days that I exercise and burn approximately 500 calories, I can eat 1700 calories and continue to lose approximately 1 lb. a week.

Cut back on the fat and fried foods. Eat more fruit and vegetables.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
A great source for setting new goals: whoops it wouldn't let me linky it. I'll spell it out. spark people dot com with no spaces between the words. :)

Totally free, very easy, even has menu plans that you can print out, ingredients list for your menus, and lots of nice people. I met up with a group of Colorado ladies one time for lunch, it was nice and everything we brought had to be healthy. :)

You wont believe all the tools they have on there! My favorite is the calorie tracker for every day. You can put in any food and probably find it on the list with nutritional info.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i just found dailyburn.com and LOVE IT! It's simple, personalizable and I set it as my homepage to make it easy to remember to do it. I've lost 4 pounds in a week!

Reactions: Contrary Housewife

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Well, I have been trying to avoid eating any gluten and dairy. Which is not easy. For some reason it just bloats me and my ears ring.

Right now I am trying to lose about 10 pounds. Getting enough sleep also seems to help. To little sleep and I just crave carbs.

Hope you can figure out a diet that will work for you.

·
19,119 Posts
What has been working for me is to be conscious of what I am eating, drinking and exercising. I have decreased the amount of what I am eating and that is a good thing. Have lost my first five pounds since I changed to this life style - shall be checking in to see how everyone's doing. Love all the suggestions - and find what works for you and stick to it!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
water, and lots of it! start your day w/ hot water and lemon...and end the day the same way..helps rid the body of toxins.

try green tea instead of an afternoon snack.

walking is great exercise...and best of all, FREE! yeah for spring!

good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
spark people dot com also has a really good book written by the founder.

I have been there for over 2 years and find it very helpful.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Agree with the sites that are listed. The only thing that works for me is counting calories and 4-6 days on the treadmill. I gain when I don't do this and taking a few pounds off myself.

Of course any exercise that you love and gets your heart pumping would help. :)

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I started with Spark today, just listing calories. Ok, now I see how I gained weight. Yeesh. My plan is to track it for the rest of the week and begin serious changes when I do the next round of grocery shopping.

Wish me luck. My goal is to drop 5 pounds (before it turns into 15) within the next 60 days. And then get back on track with my regular meal plans. I think we've been eating too much ... of everything lately.

·
19,119 Posts
CH - am looking forward to reading about and sharing your journey - I know that you can do it!!

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Thanks. I started with Spark today, just listing calories. Ok, now I see how I gained weight. Yeesh. My plan is to track it for the rest of the week and begin serious changes when I do the next round of grocery shopping.

Wish me luck. My goal is to drop 5 pounds (before it turns into 15) within the next 60 days. And then get back on track with my regular meal plans. I think we've been eating too much ... of everything lately.
It's crazy how fast those calories add up and you don't even realize it! So easy to consume an extra 3500 but hard to burn off. If you cut back just 500 hundred calories a day, that's a loss of a pound a week.

Good luck and that's a very doable goal.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Keeping a food diary (spark, MFP, etc.) and weighing and measuring your food makes you aware of everything you put in your mouth and teaches you portion control. You also can pinpoint items that aren't so good for you and you can then find healthier alternatives. I have been altering favorite recipes to make them healthier.

I am not doing without the things I love. I am eating smaller portions of them and eating them less often. You cannot totally deny yourself. When you do that, you are sure to fall off the wagon and fall off big time.

Drink lots of water (everybody should drink at least eight 8 oz. glasses a day) and get moving with some kind of exercise.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm following Michael Pollan's advice - Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. And exercising more.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I find the easiest way to lose is to cut simple starches out. I can't have wheat anyway so it is fairly easy besides missing white rice a bit.. I figure all real unprocessed food is fair game. Extra protein really helps also :)

I eat some odd combos though! Dh wanted tuna salad with noodles for his lunch today. I took a batch of the tuna, onion, mayo and peas and set it aside without the noodles for me. I ate it over broccoli slaw this morning. YUMMY and very filing.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Spark also has a sister site where you can figure out the nutritional information of your own recipes. It is Spark recipes dot com

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use fitday dot com for my calorie counting. I like the message boards on spark people though. I used fitday before I learned of spark people and I don't have the time or desire to transfer all my custom foods over. So, I'm staying with fitday.

I use nutritiondata.com to find out the nutritional info of my recipes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.