Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Easy veggie soup:

Peel and cube 3 (or more) potatoes, depending on how many you want.
I normally use about 2-3 boxes of chicken broth, you can get the low sodium kind too.
Pour the broth into a stockpot, add black pepper, bring to a simmer, add potatoes.
At this point decide what other types of frozen veggies you want. These are my "regulars":
frozen green beans, corn, peas, cauliflower (you can do fresh with this, but just add at the same time of potatoes).

I usually let my potatoes cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes and then add all the frozen veggies.
Simmer for another 15 minutes or so.

That's it.

This is the way my kids like it, plain and simple. I'm sure you could also add a can of tomatoe sauce to it as well, if you like the tomatoe taste, but we don't.

Another one I make is a vegetarian take on Taco soup:

2 cans black beans
2 cans light red kidney (you can use any color, we just prefer the lighter ones)
1 can of rotel tomatoes (I blend mine up, the kids like it better this way)
2 cans tomatoes (I also blend these)
about 2 cups frozen corn
1 package of taco seasoning
1 package of dry ranch dressing mix (I've made this recipe with and without this and I can't tell much of a difference)

That's it. Pour everything into a crockpot, simmer on low for 6-8 hrs. or on high for around 4 hrs.

Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream.

(A side not on this-You can add more beans, tomatoes, etc. depending on taste. If you want to make the regular version, just brown 1/2-1 lb. of ground beef and add to the crockpot as well. Also, I don't add any water, it will seem too thick to begin with, but once it starts to cook it will thin up a bit.)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Have you tried WW's 0 point soup? Very tasty and easy to make :)
<table align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" width="100%"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Palatino Linotype,Georgia,Times New Roman; line-height: 18px;" valign="top">0 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placetype w:st="on">Point</st1:placetype> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Garden</st1:placetype></st1:place> Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:<o:p></o:p>

2/3 cc sliced carrots<o:p></o:p>
1/2 c. diced onions<o:p></o:p>
2 garlic cloves, minced<o:p></o:p>
3 c. fat-free broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)<o:p></o:p>
1 1/2 c. diced green cabbage<o:p></o:p>
1/2 c. green beans<o:p></o:p>
1 T. tomato paste<o:p></o:p>
1/2 tsp. dried basil<o:p></o:p>
1/4 tsp. dried oregano<o:p></o:p>
1/4 tsp. salt<o:p></o:p>
1/2 c. diced zucchini<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Directions:<o:p></o:p>
In a large saucepan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute carrots, onions and garlic over low heat for about 5 minutes. Add broth, cabbage, green beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for around 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Lastly, stir in the zucchini and continue to heat soup for 3-4 minutes. Enjoy!!
*Note: I like more tomato paste in mine. I probably add 3 T. vs. the 1 T. the recipe calls for.<o:p></o:p>
</td> <td width="50">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top" width="100%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Reactions: PrairieRose
1 - 5 of 5 Posts