Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eggs are fairly cheap here. So it is a cheap protein source. I'm looking for more ways to serve them as a meal.

Here is what we already do

omelets
french toast
toad in a hole (one eyed pirates)
scrambled egg over potatoes Skillet
egg drop soup
fried eggs with sides (like toast or pancakes)
hard boiled ( as is or a topper for salad)
deviled egg ( a side dish at holidays not as meal generally)
egg salad sandwiches
Egg "Mc" Muffins (like at Mc Donald's but make at home)
fried rice
Quiche

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The scrambled egg over potatoes thing, do you do them diced or sliced? At my house, we call that "hashbrown scramble" if it is diced potatoes (we also add in a bit of meat). You can do "egg hash" (like corn beef hash only with eggs in it) and make it with sliced potatoes.

I have found that if it looks a little different and has a different "name" my family won't complain about eating the similiar things over and over.

What about fritatas?

What about some sort of dinner muffin? You make up a muffin mix without the sugar and you add in some cheese or meat and some veggies and bake.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Imagine , the toad in a hole made me laugh. We call it egg in a frame. My DH said it was that meal that made him fall in love with me. :) I think it was the fried fish he and my oldest caught together, but he swears it was the egg in a frame. We eat lots of eggs and I really like these recipe sites.

Incredible Edible Egg | Recipes

Favorite Egg Recipes - 101 Cookbooks

American Egg Board | Egg Recipe of the Month

Egg Recipes, Recipes Using Eggs, How To Cook Eggs, Egg Cooking Recipes and Techniques, Egg Dishes

One of my families favorites is made from breakfast leftovers. It's a bread omelette.

1) in a skillet melt some butter, add cubed bread, enough to cover bottom of the skillet (any kind) and stir to brown all sides.

2) add leftover fried potatoes, breakfast meat, any leftover vegetables from the week (here's where I add that 1 tablespoon of leftover fried or raw onions, green peppers, celery, corn, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach or any other greens. Just about anything. I save it even if it's just a teaspoon and put it in a container in the freezer/fridge.)

3) then pour beaten eggs over top and cook till set, run under a broiler if needed.

4) Slice into wedges and serve

The other dish I grew up with seems kind of silly, but we ate it (still eat it) all the time. It was scrambled eggs with buttered egg noodles on the side. In the Summer we added (add) a salad from our garden.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Lots of people would laugh at this but i like it.Put can of spinach in iron skillet add a little olive oil cook down almost dry beat up egg with salt pepper pour over it cook egg.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imagine , the toad in a hole made me laugh. We call it egg in a frame. My DH said it was that meal that made him fall in love with me. :) I think it was the fried fish he and my oldest caught together, but he swears it was the egg in a frame. We eat lots of eggs and I really like these recipe sites.

Incredible Edible Egg | Recipes

Favorite Egg Recipes - 101 Cookbooks

American Egg Board | Egg Recipe of the Month

Egg Recipes, Recipes Using Eggs, How To Cook Eggs, Egg Cooking Recipes and Techniques, Egg Dishes

One of my families favorites is made from breakfast leftovers. It's a bread omelette.

1) in a skillet melt some butter, add cubed bread, enough to cover bottom of the skillet (any kind) and stir to brown all sides.

2) add leftover fried potatoes, breakfast meat, any leftover vegetables from the week (here's where I add that 1 tablespoon of leftover fried or raw onions, green peppers, celery, corn, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach or any other greens. Just about anything. I save it even if it's just a teaspoon and put it in a container in the freezer/fridge.)

3) then pour beaten eggs over top and cook till set, run under a broiler if needed.

4) Slice into wedges and serve

The other dish I grew up with seems kind of silly, but we ate it (still eat it) all the time. It was scrambled eggs with buttered egg noodles on the side. In the Summer we added (add) a salad from our garden.
Most people laugh at one eye pirates

To change it up and turn the egg in a frame to one eyed pirate add a bit of pizza sauce (spaghetti sauce) over the egg and top with a slice of cheese ( a pirate patch)

This is one of Buddies favorite meals.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scrambled egg over potatoes thing, do you do them diced or sliced? At my house, we call that "hashbrown scramble" if it is diced potatoes (we also add in a bit of meat). You can do "egg hash" (like corn beef hash only with eggs in it) and make it with sliced potatoes.

I have found that if it looks a little different and has a different "name" my family won't complain about eating the similiar things over and over.

What about fritatas?

What about some sort of dinner muffin? You make up a muffin mix without the sugar and you add in some cheese or meat and some veggies and bake.
Diced potatoes with a bit of onion and peppers some call it Potatoes O-brien. Then top with eggs and somethings shredded cheese.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
one eye pirates! That's great! I'll have to make them when my nephews come over, they will love that! Thanks!

You know when I lived in California they had a burger shop on the beach that served their burgers with a fried egg on top. I never ate one but people raved over them.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
541 Posts
corned beef hash in a skilled with individual eggs on top (put a lid on it and let them poach). Yummy, don't let the yolks get hard tho.

I, too, like the canned spinach, but I don't beat the egg first, just leave it whole on top of the spinach, put a lid on it and let the egg poach til the white is done and the yolk is still "runny".

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
:yeah: I really like that idea. I'll have to try it.

I add a can of corn to the corned beef hash and fry it till the mixture is crispy on both sides. Serve over easy eggs on the side and biscuits.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Fritatta

This is my all time favorite with eggs. Hardboil about a dozen eggs. Slice eggs. Dice a package of bacon. Fry bacon in skillet with one medium onion diced and two stalks of celery diced. Once bacon is brown drain excess fat. Add one can of cream of mushroom soup and soup can full of milk to skillet. Heat mix to boiling. Remove from heat. Add sliced harboilled eggs. Season with ground black pepper and parsley.

Meanwhile toast english muffins in toaster. Put two slices of english muffin on plate. Laddle heated egg mixture of english muffin. Serve

This does not have the most appealing look but it is really good and filling. I grew up calling it ski's breakfast. The only expensive part of dish is bacon which I only purchase when it is on sale. You could also half the amount for a smaller quantity.

I also like to make soft tacos with cooked scrambled eggs and any cheese, meat, and veggie on hand.

I have also reheated cooked noodles with some butter and scrambled an egg with it.

Don't forget pickled eggs with beet juice, white vinegar, and sugar. I like the bright color it makes the eggs. Egg salad is much different with these eggs.

Eggs can also be added to potato salad and macaroni salad.

Have also made egg sandwich with two slices of bread, mayonaise, sliced boiled egg and cheese. Really yummy.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
The egg on a burger thing I saw 10 yrs ago and never thought it sounded good but I guess its a twist on beef & egg - ie popular breakky of steak & eggs right?

Other egg ideas: savory custards, pasta w/carbonara sauce?

We eat this often - Chinese influence - steamed scrambled eggs w/ground pork. A tiny bit of ground pork goes a long way...spread it out in a steamable glass dish so that each spoonful gets a bit of pork. Scramble eggs and pour over top gently. Add diced green onions across top for fleck of colour and added flavour and steam for about 15-20 mins til fully cooked through. BTW You can season both the pork & egg to your tastes with soy sauce, dash of sesame oil & freshly finely minced garlic, onions/shallots. Serve with sauteed greens and steamed rice :) You can also swap out the pork for beef or other types of ground meat.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: OH LIBBY! YUM!!!! Now that's on my must make list. It sounds SO GOOD! I want to scrap tonight's supper plans and make your supper instead. Too hot though, but it is absolutely on my must make list for next week. Thank you so much! :hugz:

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Some good reading.......will have to try some of these.

I LOVE eggs..........eat them all the time in all sorts of ways.

They can 'stretch' stuff too.......put some cut up, hardboiled eggs in tuna, or cubed chicken......for sandwiches. I use them a lot in all sorts of salads. I will often keep a dozen just hard boiled in my frig. A great 'quickie' lunch when in a hurry.

I will eat wraps made with scrambled eggs quite often.............fast, easy, and cheap. Be creative with
what you put in it.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Since my dd can't have wheat/flour - we use this sometimes for pizza crust:

http://recipes.spam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typed.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1239245

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since my dd can't have wheat/flour - we use this sometimes for pizza crust:

http://recipes.spam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typed.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1239245
bummer your recipe didn't link

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I completely forgot about breakfast burritos.

Love to do that with scambled eggs.

We often have breakfast for dinner when eggs are the main protien source.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts