Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-hope thisis the right place to ask this question. My daughter in law and son have a 3 month old and mama has just been promoted. Dad does get home by 6, but they both work weekends.They are looking for someone to come to their house and keep the baby...I just don't know where to tell her to begin looking, we have looked at some of the nanny sites and they are just sooo expensive..anyone have experience with this...can offer any suggestions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you have any local kijiji, used, craigslist sites? People often post there, also aupair site. When I decided I was going to aupair I found a family through one of the sites it wasn't one that you have to pay for the service just a place for aupairs/families to post adds/look.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
That is a tough one. Maybe local church? Ask around to friends or others with children?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks, those are good places to start, I used to trust anyone associated with our church, but now I am not so sure. We will see...thanks again!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If the nanny site seem expensive, then a nanny may be out of their budget. When someone comes to your house to watch your child, the parents tend to pay more for that convenience. Especially since the caregiver is only earning money from you, not spread out among several children like a daycare provider.

If she wants something a bit more affordable but with a smaller caregiver/children ratio, I suggest finding a home daycare and ask her the max children she'll take

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Perhaps they can find an older live in, a grandmother type. My thought would be through church networking. Many older women are struggling to support themselves in this economy. Perhaps one hand could wash the other. That said, they should expect to pay quite a bit, even for a grandmother type. Caring for children is hard work and they should expect to pay someone a decent salary. But if they have a live in, rather then a come to their home caregiver it would reduce the salary because part of the pay is room and board.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Your local social services department should have a listing of child care providers as well.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
are you talking a trained nanny/au pair? (sp???) if so, yes they are alot of money but well worth it...on the other hand, if you are just talking "nanny" you should be able to find one who will watch children and straighten, take child to activites and library, etc, and do light cooking and laundry for only about 14 - 20/per hour...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Care.com is looking good, as well as a local mom to mom sight we found. They understand they will pay more and don't mind, but the400-500 week we saw on some sights is crazy. The main issue is the weekends, since they both work and the day cares here close on weekends and at 6pm during the week. They will find one, thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Try care.com . My friend found her nanny there and had many to choose from.

I have a family daycare I run from my home and I use this site both ways. To find children and I have hired an assistant thru this site. You pay to eliminate the hassel of people who are not as serious as you are. I recommend this site to anyone who needs care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts