Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for tips on organizing a move. We are going to be moving in the next few weeks and since I have FMS I am somewhat limited on what I can accomplish on any given day. We will be doing the move ourselves and taking our own furniture. Any tips or websites would be great.
jeanna
:basket:

P.S. The last time I moved was almost 13 years ago with about 1/2 as much stuff and 1/2 as many kids.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
carolyn posted what i was going to post. i too am moving in the next couple of months. i have started going through and decluttering some things. the only thing i would add would be to have either a box or a suitcase with a few changes of clothes for everyone and a box with anything you think you would need for the first night or two so you don't have to sift through boxes that first night.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We are the moving experts over here- before we finally bought our house, we moved about once a year from apt to apt.

If you have a basement or attic, or closets that collect junk- go through all those first and anything you haven't used say in the lasy couple years- get rid of it. Either have a yard sale, donate it, sell it to your neighbors. No sense moving it if you never use it. Same goes for clothes you never wear or haven't fit into since high school.

Anything you don't use on a daily basis (like X-mas decos, fine china, bedding for a spare bedroom, books and the like) gets packed up first. SEcond goes the stuff hanging on the walls, knick knacks, scatter rugs, curtains. Then finally on the last few days of packing- all you have to pack is your everyday important stuff- like pots and pans, food in the fridge, toothpaste, soap etc. Then when you unpack- start with the stuff you packed last and work from there.

As you empty out cabinets or closets, clean them right then and there.

If you know anyone who works at a department store- have them bring home boxes for you. If not- liquor stores will usually let you have their empty boxes (which are made of heavy cardboard and usually have cut outs on the side for handles- and their size may be easier for you to handle with you Fibromyalga). Ask everyone you know to save their newspapers for you. Towels also makes great packing material :)

I hope some of this helps you out! Believe me, I don't envy you- I've vowed to never move EVER again!!

Laura

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The most helpful hint I can give you is make a survival box. It needs to have a can opener, a few forks, a couple cups, a roll of t.p., you know the essentials. It is so hard in the first few hours, let alone the first few days to find that stuff. If you have the survival stuff down, the rest can wait.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the great tips. Some I had thoght of, but most I had not.
Again Thanks,
Jeanna:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts