Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some small images of fairies. I want to do some fun fairy things in Alexandra's room. I'm not sure what I want to do with some of these images. I was thinking decoupage, but on what?

Just looking for some ideas from others.
Here's an example of one of the images I have

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A lamp shade would be nice.. or on the front of a chest.. I can't think of anything else right now..

You could get a small projector and trace them on a wall....

Eileen

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Sara are you buying or renting the house? If so the wall would be a good place for the pic. I am not sure how big it is though. Eventually a headboard would also be good.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
If renting just mat and hang them on the wall, place some flower or ivy garland around them....

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just bought our home and moved in 4-15. :D Sooo I can paint away. I would love to project them onto the wall. I wish I still had my viewmaster mini projector. LOL
I saw something on hgtv not long ago and heck if I remember how they did it. I think it was with tracing paper. I forget.
My fairy images are all small. I could always go to kinkos and enlarge them though.

I was thinking of doing something really fun in her room. I'd love to make it like a garden. So like a green rug, picket fencing on one side. Lots of trees and flowers and clouds and sky. I'd like to tuck fairies and pixies kinda hiding here and there.

I won't be doing much anytime real soon, but I'd like it to be a plan that I can start and add on to.

Michaels has some great paint pens that make details so darn easy too.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
sara,
i plan on doing my dd's room in the garden theme too!! i'd like ideas too!;)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I am in the process of doing Dharma's room in the garden theme. So far I've done semi-sheer curtians with a floral topper, we used a wallpaper boarder that is a picket fence with flowers blooming behind it, her quilt has cabbage roses on it, dresser,even a small rock garden container. So much more to do in that room.

Sara, you dould use White glue watered down and paste them on the wall that way they can be easily removed later using water! The glue will dry clear and once you re wet it it will peel right off.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
ellise, gret idea with the white glue!! i'm gonna have to remember that! thanks!:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have no idea just wanted to tell Sara and Elise that I am jealous they get to do cutsie girl rooms.What do I get to do.........sports stuff for sons'room:( BORING:)LOL but I will make it fun I guess

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I am wanting to do a flower garden theme in dd's room. will probably stencil a border of picket fence and flowers. Sara, you could mural a tree on one wall maybe in corner and have faries and such hiding in the branches/flowers. That way when she gets older it will be fun to find them. :)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i like all these ideas! I am feverishly writing them down. How about decoupaging one onto a little wooden chair, or little wooden rocking chair? onto the front of a wooden toy chest or clothes hamper?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Oh I love the Fairies and the garden themes. I just know that the girl's rooms will be precious Sara and Ellise. Please post pictures for us when y'all are finished.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Sara, I just learned something in my art class, now I believe that I can draw anything, you can too.

Draw a one inch by one inch grid on the picture (or a copy of it)

The draw a two inch by two inch (3x3, or bigger) on to the wall and then draw only what is in each little square until you have it done. You could very easily do a mural. It really is easy, I did a Picasso, it is great so far.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Sara, I was also thinking you could do them on her windows done in the glass paints sort of like sun catchers? Just a thought.
I use Ultra Gloss by DecoArt for my glass painting, they alos make a liquid "lead" paint for outlining.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
coupqn1999, You can make your boy's rooms really neat!! in my DS's room we did when he was younger a combination of Sports in there, an old basball bat with pegs for a coat rack!
Take an old Basball bat drill holes for your pegs. glue, hang at son's height, paint it BRIGHT BOLD colors

Cut ball shapes out of inexpensive plywood, sand, paint for wall decorations.

DS's room now is done in Navy & Cream but he still has Dallas Cowboys footlocker, standing locker, and Storage Drawers.

Just use you imagination!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ladies, Robin's grid idea is wonderful and will work. But here is an idea you can try. It fools your brain. If you combine the 2 ideas it may work even better!

Sara, take your small picture and turn it upside down. Draw what you see. Do not try to draw the fairy, just the shapes. You will be amazed at the end product.

Basically, when you turn the image over, it makes the left side of you brain take over and see only the shapes. Shapes are much easier to draw than "objects" because you are not seeing an "idea". Did that make sense?

Try it!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Sara, This is kind of funny. Because we are having to move my mom told the kids she would help fix their room anyway they wanted them and my dd wanted faires in her's. So I guess faires are the "in" things right now.
Jeanna

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I might try using graphite transfer paper and transferring parts of the images, so I can place the images somewhat hidden amongst other things.

This part will be the last part of the room, but the most fun part.

Right now, I am deciding what materials I want to use for different things. wood, felts, fabrics, etc.

I don't want the room to be flat.

She has some fun things in this room. Like one large window, a nook that currently is holding her dresser, a walk in closet that is cute and has shelves.

I'm excited to start the project, but it will be a process and not anything I can do all at once.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I like your fairy pictures. My sister has a fairy theme in her bedroom. I was going to buy 6 matching picture/photo frames and mat and place the fairy pictures from a calendar to make a series. They could be hung with 3 in a row and one row above the other, to form a large square on a prominent wall. Or they could be spread across an area in a row, or grouped by 3's in a space on a wall. Lots of things you can do with the framed pictures.

Once you have tired of the fairy theme you can take the pictures down without having to repaint the entire room.

I made the mistake of decorating my daughter's room with Hello Kitty and she tired of it in a few months. Before that it was The Little Mermaid.

Since I can't keep up with her changes so often, I will not stick to a limited theme in her room again and add wallies and wallpaper border and all that to her room. She has so many interests and toys and things that it is impossible to stick to one theme for long and she complains about outgrowing the decorations in her room.

I painted her entire room a sky blue, even the ceiling and painted some fluffy clouds on the ceiling. I think that is something she will not tire of so quickly and it goes with anything.Her toys and bedding will always be changing so I have to stick with something like her favorite color (blue) and let her change things around at her whim.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I've been doing a lot of decoupaging images and wallpaper samples onto storage boxes. Wood cd crates are $1 and I use them to hold powders, shampoos etc. Trays are easy too. It's a great place to practice and to start bringing a theme together. Good luck, it sounds charming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts