Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Today, for the very first time ever, I made homemade chocolate chip cookies. I mean, I broke out the flour and baking soda and all that. I have made cookies before, but NEVER from scratch. They came out tasty and soft, but we all agree there's something missing. If you wouldn't mind, please share your favorite chocolate cookie recipe with me. The kids love them, as do I, and would love to have an awesome recipe to make for the family. Below I will post the recipe I used today. Thanks!

2 Sticks Soft Margarine
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
2/3 Cup White Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 1/4 Cups Flour
1 Bag Chocolate Chips (Recipe called for 1/2 a bag, but we like em' chocolatey)

P.S. Tonight I made Sunshines Egg Drop Soup recipe. YUMMY! It's awesome, and even better then what we have had in the restaurants. It was a HUGE hit! If you haven't tried it yet, do...you won't be disappointed. Thanks Sunshine for sharing that!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I must be the only one that thinks "something" is missing from the recipe. I just went out to the kitchen, to get a cookie, and the container is empty. :)

I did some searching on the internet, and found something called Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies. I don't know if it's really "the" Mrs. Fields recipe, but I think I will try it sometime. Here's the recipe:

2 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups White Sugar
1 1/2 Pounds Butter
3 Beaten Eggs
2 Tsp. Vanilla
6 Cups Flour
1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 12 Ounce Packages Chocolate Chips

Fluff together brown sugar, white sugar and butter. Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt and add. Fold in chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I use the recipe for the "Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies" on the back of the crisco butter flavored shortening sticks. The only thing I change in the recipe is that I use M&M's in place of chocolate chips. These are yummy! They get a little crunchy unless you have them in a cookie jar or sealed container, then they get all nice and soft. I'll look and see if I can find it for you.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Here it is

Ultimate Chocolate chip cookies

3/4 cup butter flavor crisco shortening
1-1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cups coarsely ground pecans (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place sheets of foil on countertop for cooling cookies.
Combine Butter flavor Crisco, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat egg into mixture.
Combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecan pieces.
4 Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake one sheet at a time at 375 for 8 - 10 minutes for chewy cookies, or 11-13 minutes for crisp cookies.
Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before removing to foil to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

*If nuts are omitted, add an additional 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Kathy! They sound delicious. I will add butter flavor crisco shortening to my shopping list. I enjoy making cookies, and the family loves eating them. I am sure they will be a huge hit. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my favorite I actually braved the heat and made today too!

oh they are so good!
sift
4 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

cream
2 cups margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs (I use 6 small farm eggs)
1 tsp cold water
2 tsp vanilla

add dry and lots of chocolate chips.

tried MANY but this is the one I always come back to.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
This is my fave recipe...
http://www.suresave.com/recipesofhawaii/samsrecipes/2002/SC_Recipe_june_2002.html#0601c

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) Butter, softened
1 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla
1 lb. (1 16 oz. bag) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar using a paddle attachment on medium speed until mixture is smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Add eggs gradually. Stop mixer and scrape bowl. Mix on medium speed until mixture is smooth, approximately 2 minutes.

Add flour and remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Mix on low speed for one minute. Stop mixer and scrape bowl. Continue mixing on low for one minute. Add chocolate chips. Mix on low speed for one minute or until chips are incorporated. Do not overmix. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven when slightly under baked. Cooking will continue baking on hot sheet pans. Yields approximately 4 dozen cookies.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have dozens of chocolate chip cookie recipes, some are quick and easy, some have more ingredients. One of my favorites, if I just want some cookies quick, is the Toll House Recipe from the back of the bag of choclate chips. I add all different kinds of things to them from nuts, coconut to dried cherries, my favorite. It's a very versitile recipe. I also make the oatmeal cookies from the top of the Quaker Oatmeal box. I usually add chocolate chips and nuts and sometimes dried cherries to that recipe also. Yum, now I need to go make some cookies!

·
Registered
175 Posts
have tried a few, but here are a few things it think make better cookies:

-use butter, or shortening (crisco or tenderflake) instead of margarine if you can
-bake them at 300 degrees (most recipes say 375, but you can still use the same recipe and try this), for 15 minutes, take them out (yes, even if they don't look done yet).
-let the cookies cool on the baking sheet, this is suppose to make them stay chewy, that and the step above.
-lots of chocolate chips (with m&m's if you like, or nuts, or colored whatever), just load them with chocolately goodness or whatever you have to throw in to make them decident (they sell caramel chips, white chocolate chips, raisins)
-store in a freezer bag or sealed container so they don't dry out...if you can keep them around that long.

margery posted a good recipe on another thread for cookie dough freezer logs, it has just a touch of cinnamon...yummy! i'd try that one again.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
another tip. I just found that if you use only Domino Sugar in your baking recipes you can cut back the sugar, because it is the only sugar made from sugar cane. The others are made from beet sugar and it takes more to sweeten a recipe. Heard this from a dear elderly farm friend who told me her father had passed this info onto her.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I have a basic peanut butter cookie recipe that I add chocolate chips, or raisins or anything that I want... I usually have sugar and plenty of peanut butter... when I have extras, I will toss in things like chocolate chips or raisins

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup peanut butter
1 egg
( 1 cup 'fixins') *if they are bulky and dry, I will double the recipe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts