Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lost my job. I am going through the pains of the unemployment process :down:. I am cutting back on all of my bills and expenses. The AC is on but at 78 degrees as compared to 72 degrees and I am able to save alot more with my menu's and coupon discounts and comparative shopping. The reality has really not hit me yet though because I still have a check coming.... I am sure anxiety will sink in soon... Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Honey, I'm so sorry! Well, first, don't wait for the money to run out, start looking for another job now, and even take a part time one until you can find what you want. Anything coming in is better than nothing. See if you qualify for any assistance. Don't let your pride get in the way!

Good luck, and I hope you find something even better soon!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm sure it is very stressful for you right now. I agree with the above post! Good luck to you

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is so hard when you lose a job. My husband has been out of work for 8 months and we have been living off of my sons disability check and my daughters child support of $200 a month. Employment stinks around here.
My husband Rick has been looking every day and nothing. Our savings from good ol uncle sam that we had to put away to move is almost gone and we havent even moved yet. The way it is looking is another year in our Apt. It has been 13 years already. I am starting to think it is not going to happen.
Maybe One DAY?
Michelle

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I totally know how you feel my DH lost his job and we've gotten 3 unemployment checks 1 for 1 week and 1 for 2 weeks and all I can say is just relax, I know that's kinda hard since you and I both worry but becoming and staying frugal was great for just this time.

Cut costs on everything and if you have to cut cable or phone features, etc... and most of all try to cut your food bill if it's high.

I wish you the best of luck and just keep your head up, things will work out in the end. :) If you ever want to PM me, please do so, we can do this together. :hugz:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are a few things which I did when I was out of work and I decreased my bills considerably.

1.)I bought box fans and placed them in the rooms in which I was located and put my AC on 85. Just having the air circulate with the fans will help.
2.) I eliminated long distance calling and wrote letters instead.
3.) I used public transportation (the bus) and I tried to walk in order to cut down on using my car.
4.) I investigated cheaper auto insurance (Geico etc)
5.) I strove to conserve water as much as possible
6.) I eliminated luxuary purchases (eating out, books, clothes, magazines) I visited the library for books/magazines (it is free of charge)
7.) I elimnated my health club membership
8.) I notified the holders of my student loans of my situation in order to go on deferrment
9.) I cut, cut, cut my food bill (no sodas, candies, junk food etc)
10.) Although I did not realize it at the time if I could do it all over again I would have also made my own dog food
11.) I changed over all of my light bulbs to flurescent.
I hope God blesses you with a job soon. I ended up taking a parttime job and with my many cost cutting impementations I was able to make it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could not edit my post so here are a few more things which I did.
12.) I joined a food co-op.
13.) I found a FREE bread outlet which was located 10 minutes from my home. They had so much bread until they would give it to the farmers for their animals since people did not take enough of it.
14.) I cooked from scratch. I had a couple of cookbooks which had recipes from the depression era. The meals were delicious and extremely cheap. I used alot less meat and alot more potatoes and bread. I was never a big meat eater and I learned how to fix beans in a myriad of ways.
15.) I learned how to cut, style and color my own hair.
16.) I used make up very sparely and I changed from name brands (Mary Kay etc to store brands). I learned to stretch all my personal care items by adding water to them (Lotion, Shampoo, conditioner) and of course I used generics.
17.) I cleaned with vinegar versus expensive cleansers.
I hope these tips help. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement! I am cutting my expenses and working on lots of different ways to save. Its amazing at what can be cut or done differently to be more frugal. I think I will be ok. I will say that it was a shock and that I did not have much in my savings. Big lesson learned! I will also say that I now know better! I will make it through this moment in time and I will know much better next time! Thanks again for the encouragement!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I think you received some great advice and wanted to say I am sorry for your job loss. Good luck on looking for a new job! :hugz:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Find out what kind of job hunting assistance is provided by your community or state. Texas does a wonderful job of supporting, and I'm sure some others do too. (PS, I'm not from Texas, but a friend found their resources so useful that she kept suggesting that I move there).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm sorry about your job loss. I am also unemployed and have been for 14 months. I am sure I would have had a job by now, but after I lost my job last year I had to go stay with my Mom who had lung cancer and take care of her, which prevented me from working. During the time I was taking care of her my Father developed throat cancer and passed away. I am glad to have had the time to take care of them.

Now I am eager to get back into the workforce. Sometimes I find myself very depressed and anxious about not working. I am literally living on a credit card right now, which kills me because I do not want any more debt.

What I also found is that my depression was leading to drinking too much. There is a local bar I attend frequently (beer is only $1). I found myself going there 2 - 5 nights per week. Then I realized that yes, drinking that much was really REALLY bad for me and I was not getting enough accomplished the next day. So I said my goodbye and told them I would see them in 1 month. During this month I am working on dealing with my grief and putting a hell of a lot more effort into looking for a job.

I don't plan to have my grief all worked out within a month, but I do plan to have a better handle on it so I can go out once per week as opposed to the way too often I had been doing. If I feel I I need more time, then I'll take it.

I feel sure I will find something soon. I promise to keep you in my prayers. You will get through this.

Take care and feel free to write anytime...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I'm sorry about your job loss too. We've been through that a couple of times. One thing I will warn you about, is as tempting as it is, unless you absolutely positively absolutely HAVE to, don't bail yourself out with a credit card. We did and have the cc debt to prove it. (One of the reasons I joined!)

Good luck and God bless --
jd

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Good for you! Now, take what you have learned, and continue to do it after you get back on your feet, and sock the extra away in that all important emergency fund.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You have gotten some really great advise and ideas. I have nothing to add, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you lost you job and good luck.:hugz:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts