Frugal Village Forums banner

Lots of chicken

Tags
chicken lots
2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kettlecorn 
#1 ·
Ok, long story short... our deep freezer door did not shut all the way last night so we had some issues today. :yikes: Thankfully the meat in there was all the way in the back and was still a solid block when I discovered this today. The chicken however, was starting to thaw. So I cooked it up... now I have a LOT of shredded chicken and some baked chicken breasts.
Need some ideas! We are not too picky here, so pretty much anything goes!:bigglass:

Thanks!

#3 ·
I second this!! You can even cut up the pieces of chicken breast that you don't think you'll be able to eat in the next couple of days, and freeze that, too. Then you can defrost and throw it in a cheesy pasta bake, enchiladas, pasta salad, casserole, or soup... or make chicken salad... YUM!

#7 ·
My kids love baked pasta with shredded chicken in it.

Just mix cooked ziti with a 28 oz can of crushed tomatos, a cup of cream (I've tried milk -- it just doesn't work right), and as much mozzarella cheese as you like (or have on hand). Then put it in a big casserole dish and bake it at 400 for 20 minutes.

You might use the baked chicken breasts to make sandwiches... maybe not the most frugal way to use it, but I've been craving a chicken sandwich with bacon and honeymustard dressing all day. :)

#10 ·
This is DH's favorite recipe

RITZ CHICKEN CASSEROLE

6 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 tube Ritz crackers
8 oz. sour cream with onion
1 tsp. celery seed
1 1/2 stick butter

Boil breast until tender; remove skin and bones and cut into small pieces. Spread in buttered casserole. Crush crackers and add celery seed. Spread over soup. Melt butter and pour over all evenly. Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly. Hint: This is a very rich dish - lower calorie butter or imitation sour cream may be substituted without altering flavor.

I have used boiled and baked chicken before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.