Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new sewing machine off freecycle, very excited, impending new hobby, got pattern for patchwork cushion off web, material off ebay - first hiccup - bobbin case missing - no worries, found web site selling parts for my machine and £9.50 3 days later set off excitedly to my den to make wonderful things - NOT! Remember sewing lesson at school (many moons ago) thread machine thread snaps, try again, again, change tension, try again, alter knobs (no real clue what they do! thread snaps, get both daughters in to look, they remeber less than I do! Perhaps my schooling wasnt that bad. Dreams of lovely soft furnishings from treasured finds of fabric vanishing - shut door on den - 2 daughters flew to tenerife for 6 months, house tidy, laundry done, hobby needed, back to the sewing machine - does anybody know how these bloomin things work!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Do you have the manual to make sure it is threaded correctly? I just did battle with DD's Singer. It threads very strangely to say the least. You can do a google search for the brand and model for owners manual online. I bookmarked the site for future problems.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i have no clue, but was laughing so hard because it sounds like me!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My mom used to have one that the tension was all foiled up on, we finally ended up getting a new one. She always blamed that on me, for playing with the dials to much. Sorry I wish I could help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at least im not alone

thanks all - constructivley i am going to look for the manual on line, if that doesnt work be looking for a new sewing machine - but as a strike against consumerism will be looking for a pre loved machine - how many of these do you think il get through before giving up and buying a new one!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
At the risk of sounding archaic, I like the old machines - you know the ones with all metal parts that you could take apart and clean an reassemble and they (gasp!) WORKED!

I use a Singer Featherweight that I was given as a Christmas gift when I was 13. It was 35 years old then. That makes it 70 now. All metal. Always works. No frills.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Edna I'm with you. My favorite machine is a 30 yr old Singer. I have a Pfaff also, but I love the Singer. I fix it when it has issues. Not the Pfaff--off to the shop.

Howhardcanitbe if the bobbin case has a little screw on it, you can adjust that also. Check to see if a piece of thread is stuck in the bobbin area. Make sure the thread doesn't wrap it's self around something as it unwinds form the spool. My last suggestion is to make sure the needle is put in correctly. Sorry, but you'll need the manual to know the correct way. Good Luck.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sorry I can't help, I just wanted to say I hope you get the manual and get it figured out. Good luck!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Howhardcanitbe, you had me :laugh: too, I love the way you describe things, I could actually see you sitting there. :D

I agree with the other ladies, give me an old, all metal machine any day! Yep, find your manual online and go from there, hopefully it will have pictures to help you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh why is it never easy! Can any one give me some sites for finding my manual - ive found a manual for every bloomin sewing machine going but mine -has anybody ever heard of a janome/newhome656b or was production stopped immediatly after this one was built on account it doesnt work! Another problem - havent got time to sew any more - to busy on this web site!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is there a sewing machine store nearby. Your machine just might need servicing. Even older machines which seem to never breakdown do occasionally. I had an old 1960's singer. When it began to work funky I took it to a sewing machine shop and had it tuned up. It worked fine after that. They also may be able to give you a quick lesson on how to use it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I'm a firm believer in sewing machine shops. If I ever even look at something as tricky as a screw on a bobbin case, the thread starts snarling just as a "don't touch" warning. And realizing I have to actually adjust the tension is enough to give me a headache. I love my machine, a new one, but please, please, don't make ME do the maintenance. It would turn into plastic/metal/electronic scrap without a by-your-leave.

Good luck on finding a manual. I admire the self-reliant sewers among us. I'm too chicken to meddle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I spent some time looking on line for the manual. No luck. It may be time for a trips to the shop. Where I take my Pfaff they will check it out and tell me how much the repairs will cost. Call and see if a shop by you will do that. Then you can decide if you want to put any money into it. As mentioned before, they are also pretty nice about explaining how to's. I'm sorry this is turning into a trial and not a fun adventure!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
make sure there is no dust or crud on any of the moving parts. mine will snap the thread if there is lint build up in teh bobbin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts