Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grocery prices went down this week in my area. Nearly everything was down. Milk down , eggs, down, meat down, cereal down, four down, sugar holding steady, etc

Produce was down extra. Cheaper then it has been in long awhile (they had to clearance it out before it rotted) Clementines were 50% down so were bananas 50% down.

I guess the people here voted with their dollars Choosing to not buy when it was high priced. So the price had to come down so they could sell it.

Customer driven price reduction.

·
19,119 Posts
No lower prices here.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I do many ads each week for a board, it doesn't surprise me the ones you are mentioning. Every store, every chain has loss leaders to get one into the store. Each cereal manufacturer rotates and has sales per monthly cycles, dairy is used as a loss leader never usually organic ( but large commercial dairy) and they will need to have a few of those since many of the certain produce prices won't be down for awhile.

Clemetines have been the loss leader for two stores for two weeks. They have been 50% off for two weeks , so that is the fruit I got for my family while on sale.

I would like to say it is consumers not willing to pay , but those prices have not been instigated yet by many and are unavoidable just my opinion. As we get closer to Spring, can grow our own, many farmers markets will have and more in season for here ( in our Country, as much is grown elsewhere for this season) you will see better prices in certain produce. Just the way it is.

Also before major hikes, they need to get rid of certain staples so they will have new sku's coming with the new prices.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Getting ready to go to the store now to ONLY buy a couple of much needed items that are on sale AND I have coupons for. I also received my Kroger coupons in the mail yesterday that are based on my previous purchases - free coffee, 1.50 off meat, etc.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Getting ready to go to the store now to ONLY buy a couple of much needed items that are on sale AND I have coupons for. I also received my Kroger coupons in the mail yesterday that are based on my previous purchases - free coffee, 1.50 off meat, etc.
Whoo hoo Mary got to love the Kroger coupons based on your needs and prior purchases. Did you get much at the Mega Sale a couple weeks ago?

Apples are actually good prices for me, this time of yr. I got them for 1.39 a pound organic.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do many ads each week for a board, it doesn't surprise me the ones you are mentioning. Every store, every chain has loss leaders to get one into the store. Each cereal manufacturer rotates and has sales per monthly cycles, dairy is used as a loss leader never usually organic ( but large commercial dairy) and they will need to have a few of those since many of the certain produce prices won't be down for awhile.

Clemetines have been the loss leader for two stores for two weeks. They have been 50% off for two weeks , so that is the fruit I got for my family while on sale.

I would like to say it is consumers not willing to pay , but those prices have not been instigated yet by many and are unavoidable just my opinion. As we get closer to Spring, can grow our own, many farmers markets will have and more in season for here ( in our Country, as much is grown elsewhere for this season) you will see better prices in certain produce. Just the way it is.

Also before major hikes, they need to get rid of certain staples so they will have new sku's coming with the new prices.
These weren't sale prices and definitely not loss leaders. Loss leader this week is tuna.

I live in a low income area. Prices to high you just don't buy. End of story. Walmart consider Angel food an competitor and lowered it's prices on items on the box list.

We can agree to disagree about the reason for the price reduction. I believe that it is probably customer driven here.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not seeing lower prices here.. Bananas .64 per #, apples .99 per #

No good ads either....
Bananas are 26 cents today and they look good. To bad I'm allergic.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
These weren't sale prices and definitely not loss leaders. Loss leader this week is tuna.

I live in a low income area. Prices to high you just don't buy. End of story. Walmart consider Angel food an competitor and lowered it's prices on items on the box list.

We can agree to disagree about the reason for the price reduction. I believe that it is probably customer driven here.
I don't disagree that is very nice you have great prices, lowered or whatever. With many on food stamps the stores still get their money even in low income areas . Many store do better in those areas. Sorry I knew shouldn't have answered this thread , just stating my general opinion , not disagreeing nor do I live in your area. Glad you have great prices, stock up or enjoy. Have a great day. Will leave you to your thread, and sorry to have intruded.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't disagree that is very nice you have great prices, lowered or whatever. With many on food stamps the stores still get their money even in low income areas . Many store do better in those areas. Sorry I knew shouldn't have answered this thread , just stating my general opinion , not disagreeing nor do I live in your area. Glad you have great prices, stock up or enjoy. Have a great day
Oh no need to apologize for answering the thread. I'm glad you did. I love differencing opinions.
That is how we learn and makes the world so fun.

I am curious about this

"With many on food stamps the stores still get their money even in low income areas . Many store do better in those areas."

Why would they do better? Don't stores get their money even from people paying without food stamps?

·
2,688 Posts
"With many on food stamps the stores still get their money even in low income areas . Many store do better in those areas."
Why would they do better? Don't stores get their money even from people paying without food stamps?
The city we live closest to has a lot of low income people. So a lot of people who use food stamps, partial food stamps and WIC cards. We have one store that seems to have a lot of low income people shopping. When you see carts piled high, and it's the beginning of the month, you can almost bet money, that that person pushing that cart will be using food stamps.
The one manager at this store, we know real well, because he used to work at the same place my hubby did years ago. We had a interesting conversation one day, about low income people and how this store basically caters to what they shop for. It makes for big $$$ to know your customer buying habits.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I doubt it is strictly customer driven, unless it is a manager special kind of thing.

With the chain grocery stores sale ads are made up weeks, if not months in advance. There simply isn't enough time to design an ad and get it through the print shop and distribution channels when the regional office notices that "Oh we've got a lot of broccoli that didn't sell last week".

When something goes on sale cheap it's because last October the corporate office contracted with the supplier to provide a freight container full of melons or bananas or whatever. The store manager usually does not have a say in things and does not have the authority to mark down sugar or flour just because he thinks the price is too high and it's not selling. There are exceptions, of course for things like produce and meats nearing their expiration dates. But in most cases the decision to lower prices this week was made back sometime in 2010.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We had a interesting conversation one day, about low income people and how this store basically caters to what they shop for. It makes for big $$$ to know your customer buying habits.
It would be interesting to know how they shop and what they shop for.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
My Sister lives in a low income area and the one store that is in walking distance takes advantage of the fact that

A) Most people who live there do not have cars, and can not afford to take public transportation elsewhere. and

B) That those who use food stamps actually have "money" to spend.She says that that store would be hard pressed to get cash for a grocery order.

Their prices are sky high. The things that are priced the same as the other stores are the things you can't buy with food stamps, like toilet paper, shampoo, pet food. They do not carry a lot of selection of these items, just one or two things of each type of product. They are not a sale store, they don't have to be, people are forced to shop there, they have no other choice. It might be important to note that this is NOT a chain grocery store.

It's the same thing with the thrift store there. Prices are way up and it's VERY picked through. My Sister waits and buys her kids clothes at the 25 cent sale at SVA. That's all the clothes that would not sell at the thrift store because they are well worn. She says it's like an animal house with everyone pushing and shoving. So much so that's she's even skipped a sale or two.

The only other stores in town is an old pharmacy, just a pharmacy, nothing sold there but medical. And Mom and Pop corner stores, one every few blocks. They are VERY expensive, and have stock limited to junk food & cigarettes. They also take food stamps.

Now, my Sister's area may not be like all low income areas. Hers has an extremely high crime rate. Lots of drugs, drive bys and prostitution. Soup kitchens, shelters, and street ministries. It's more of a small city then a town really.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt it is strictly customer driven, unless it is a manager special kind of thing.

With the chain grocery stores sale ads are made up weeks, if not months in advance. There simply isn't enough time to design an ad and get it through the print shop and distribution channels when the regional office notices that "Oh we've got a lot of broccoli that didn't sell last week".

When something goes on sale cheap it's because last October the corporate office contracted with the supplier to provide a freight container full of melons or bananas or whatever. The store manager usually does not have a say in things and does not have the authority to mark down sugar or flour just because he thinks the price is too high and it's not selling. There are exceptions, of course for things like produce and meats nearing their expiration dates. But in most cases the decision to lower prices this week was made back sometime in 2010.
Interesting about the ads.

That is one reason I don't think it was an ad based loss leader price reduction as it wasn't an advertised price no ad. Just a change in the price tag.

Our Walmart managers changes prices all the time. I'm sure they have a certain formula or rules they do have to follow or maybe headquarters tells them to lower the prices I don't know. I've heard them say they lowered prices because it wasn't selling or because of the price at a competitors that week.

I know our local market can change prices when ever they want as the owner is the manager and it is independent.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Imagine, I'm glad you are seeing the prices drop for you this week. I can not say that it's the same here. It's like others here have said, only items perishable and due to expire.

I'm thinking that how we spend our dollars will matter to the buyers as they plan for next years stock. I know that is how it's done at my son's work. Of course he does not work at a grocery store, but a pharmacy one stop shop.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Sister lives in a low income area and the one store that is in walking distance takes advantage of the fact that

A) Most people who live there do not have cars, and can not afford to take public transportation elsewhere. and

B) That those who use food stamps actually have "money" to spend.She says that that store would be hard pressed to get cash for a grocery order.

Their prices are sky high. The things that are priced the same as the other stores are the things you can't buy with food stamps, like toilet paper, shampoo, pet food. They do not carry a lot of selection of these items, just one or two things of each type of product. They are not a sale store, they don't have to be, people are forced to shop there, they have no other choice. It might be important to note that this is NOT a chain grocery store.

It's the same thing with the thrift store there. Prices are way up and it's VERY picked through. My Sister waits and buys her kids clothes at the 25 cent sale at SVA. That's all the clothes that would not sell at the thrift store because they are well worn. She says it's like an animal house with everyone pushing and shoving. So much so that's she's even skipped a sale or two.

The only other stores in town is an old pharmacy, just a pharmacy, nothing sold there but medical. And Mom and Pop corner stores, one every few blocks. They are VERY expensive, and have stock limited to junk food & cigarettes. They also take food stamps.

Now, my Sister's area may not be like all low income areas. Hers has an extremely high crime rate. Lots of drugs, drive bys and prostitution. Soup kitchens, shelters, and street ministries. It's more of a small city then a town really.
I'm sure low income areas all have different personalities.

It feel like the store is taking advantage of the situation.

It also brings to my mind the question "How much is public transportation?" but that would be a different thread.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imagine, I'm glad you are seeing the prices drop for you this week. I can not say that it's the same here. It's like others here have said, only item perishable and due to expire.

I'm thinking that how we spend our dollars will matter to the buyers as they plan for next years stock. I know that is how it's done at my son's work. Of course he does not work at a grocery store, but a pharmacy one stop shop.
I hope prices do come down for everyone. I also hope ours stay down.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Back from Kroger and got my free small can of Kroger coffee and noticed they have lowered their big cans of Kroger coffee from $8.99 to $7.99 and then put it on sale for $5.99. That is $1 higher than the old sale price. I had a 75 cent off coupon so I bought a can.

Kroger brand frozen Raspberry Lemonade was on sale again for $1 instead of the regular price of $2. Hubby likes it and I water it down a little more to make it go further. Bought several cans of chili cuz it was $1 a can. I don't like chili, but hubby does. So it isn't worth my while to make it.

I got two big packages of chicken thighs reduced for quick sale at a reasonable price and two roasts for $1.99 a pound and used my $1.75 off meat coupon.

Milk has been going up about 10 cents every week or so. It was up to $2.88 a gal. So I bought whole milk and will water it down.

I bought dishwasher detergent. It was on sale and I had a coupon. I was COMPLETELY out. I also bought 5 cans of dog food because it was on sale AND I had a coupon.

I noticed LOTS of people walking around the store using their coupons! Pretty much everybody had a handful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.