Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THANks to this site i have got rid of one credit card and balanced transferred it to a 0 % for 9 month to get my overdraft down i am paying only a little off it and putting money in my web saver (int-net acc) so that when the nine months are up i will have next to nothing left in the web and not much on the visa now pre frugal i used my cc for everthing now i have stopped or that and am doing the env system it works mist of the time unless i have a five week month lol
So i was in the queue at asda and seen a leaflet for a asda credit card when they give you coupons off/money off shopping. I am in two mind if to do this WHAT do you guys think DO some of you have these loyality cards .ARE they worth it . DO you end up spending more COS i think that what i would do please help

·
Registered
552 Posts

I don't have a loyalty credit card, so I can't comment on how well it works for me or not. However, I would think that if you're going to use a CC anyway, you might as well use one that gives you rewards.

If I use my debit card as a credit card rather than debit (meaning I sign the receipt rather than typing in my PIN), I get 1 point for every dollar spent. I can exchange my points for stuff. Right now I'm saving my points for an Amazon.com gift card. It's nice to be working toward something free just for buying stuff I need (and sometimes just want).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have a loyalty card but the only reason I got a credit card is to take advantage of their cashback rewards. I pay my balance in full each month so I don't pay any interests and still take advantage of $$ they give back for every dollar spent.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Right now I have an Amazon card (through Chase) that pays me 1% for regular purchases (which I don't consider a great payback rate), but 3% on Amazon purchases. I'm about 390 more point away from my next $25 gift card. But I don't use Amazon as much anymore so I may trade it in for the more general and flexible Chase Freedom card.

I also have this old Providian (now Washington Mutual) card that years ago was an eBay card and gave me eBay points, but gave that up a long time ago and now just gives me regular 1 point per dollar rewards. I have received a few Starbucks cards from them. I mostly keep them around though because they give me my credit score for free each month.

I agree that if you're going to use a credit card at least get some rewards for it. Neither of these cards tempts me to spend more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
definitely worth it. Use it as you would a debit paying off balance in full monthly. Might as well get money back buying something you'd buy anyway not to mention it builds your credit. I've never spent more or charged any extravagances on my card than I normally would if you think of it as actual cash. I don't really understand people who don't like credit cards but I guess if you have a real problem spending on extras I wouldn't get it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We both have Chase Flexible Rewards credit cards.

I used to only use credit cards as a tool for storing debt at 0% interest.

I still do that, but we are coming out of the debt now.

Anyways, I found out (from charging all the debt) that we accumulated over 10,000 points in rewards.

Which equals 100.00.
So, nowwe are using our credit cards foreveryday stuff instead of our debit cards, just toearn the points.

The trick is to leave $ in the bank to pay the credit cards.

I am new at this so I will have to see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts