Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Julia loves banana muffins with raisins in them. So, I used to make them all the time. I had stockpiled Bisquick a long time ago and recently used the last of it. So, we had some bananas that were on their way out and Julia asked if we could make banana muffins. Sans Bisquick, we made it from scratch. They came out much darker and harder and not as yummy as the Bisquick ones were. I used the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook, right down to the pinch.

Julia does not like these muffins and will not eat them. I can't even pawn them off on Patrick, the 1 year old garbage disposal. Even I agree, not so yummy. Any ideas on why?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Probably mixed them too much...just a thought :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Here you go Amy, I will bet the kids eat these, they are delicious. This recipe has been in my family for over 40 years. Enjoy!

Banana Bread

1 cup sugar
½ cup crisco or 1 stick margerine
3 large very ripe bananas mashed well or beaten
2 eggs
1 teasp. baking soda
2 cups flour
1 teasp. salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients, then add the dry ingredients a little at a time, beating well after each addition.

Grease (2) 7½" x 3½" x 2' bread pans (mine are Ecko brand) or
(1) regular size bread pan. Margerine tastes better than Pam in this recipe or use butter, I do.

Bake at 325 - 350 degrees for 1 hour or until it is nicely brown and the top cracks. Check the center with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.

I have found when using 1 regular size bread pan it takes longer than an hour in my oven, so it may need longer in yours too. Also this makes great muffins but I think the baking time for those is around 25 minutes, I would start checking them at 20 minutes. I think it yeilds around 20-24 muffins.

The whole key to this recipe is extremely ripe bananas, I'm talking completely black or very near so. The flavor is awesome.

**Edited**

I forgot to add that if you have those aluminum throw away pans 5 3/4" x 3½" x 2" (the smallest bread pan looking ones) It will make 4 of those. I get them in the $$ store 4-5 in a pack and use them for Christmas gifts when making banana bread. Don't have to worry about getting your pans back and it is a perfect size for a luncheon or snacks for kids.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dee, Just wanted to let you know that I'll be trying your recipe today!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dee, They were DELICIOUS!!! Thank you so much! (We used raisins instead of nuts) I was thrilled with the outcome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts