Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Background info: I am moving 1,495 miles away to be with BF)

I received 25 boxes free from Postal Service. They will cost $14.50 to mail anywhere. They are 12" x 12" x 5" tall. My thought was that when the BF buys a house I would start mailing him things in these boxes, thus saving room in the van we are going to rent to move me out there. Van space will be taken up largely by my dogs, clothes, and other than my tv I am not moving furniture.

What would you trust to mail, and prefer to mail to save space in the van for larger boxes? I expect to be able to mail things about 2 months or more before I actually move, he would be in the house to receive them and put them in a safe place.

Some thoughts I have already had:

photos, fragile items wrapped in clothing that is out of season, jewelry, paper items, dvd's. Would you do household things like measuring cups/spoons, or are those not worth the cost of shipping? He will have nothing, its his first house on his own. I feel like I have everything but its not worth shipping.

Anyhow just seeking some input for fun.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I used to be a shipping manager and have a suggestion for you. Check around to see what else you can find, it may be cheaper to ship via UPS or Fed-ex. Both UPS and Fed-ex would be cheaper if you can ship to his place of work instead of his home.

And if it was me I would not ship ANYTHING via mail that wasn't replaceable. I probably wouldn't trust UPS or Fedex with irreplaceable items either.

How long before the move? When I decided to move I started packing up the things I used the least first. The older cookbooks that I don't use weekly at least, winter clothes, fine china, my stockpile, etc.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Also...the price of those flat rate boxes could go up by then...they have gone up in price considerably in the last 5 years....in increments.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Irk, don't ship anything that isn't replaceable? Hm. Ok not cool. I thought it would be safer than leaving stuff in a locked van at night when we're at a hotel.

Estimated dates are June. I'm hoping the price doesn't go up, I just got these!

Hm. hm hm. I need to think on this. Thanks. At the very least I got some free boxes, ha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts