Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a list on what to buy for a frugal baby. I know some of the basics... but what about what you don't think is necessary or a waste of money. I want to compile a list for myself. It would be nice to have it available here also.

Thanks Lynn

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'll list some of the things I wouldn't buy again ...

- sippy cups
- too many clothes
- a lot of the toys (we had too many baby type toys)
- change table (not really needed and when the baby is too big, it's useless)
- baby bath tub (I would either use the tub/sink or a smaller container)
- stuffed animals (way too much clutter)
- toddler bed (I had one given to us, so I never bought one, but never found it neccessary)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Things my infants didn't need:
shoes (until they are walking)
and over abundance of blankets (for some reason my son and daughter got tons of blankets as presents. I think we consistently used 2 or 3 each.
Vibrating chair: I bought one for my son, he hated it. My daughter...didn't care. Not worth the money for us.
Dresses and an abundance of cutsie dressy clothes: I found that with both of my kids, I could get along with about a weeks worth of clothes. I got a lot of hand me downs for my daughter, but with my son, I would only ever buy 5 pairs of pants and 5 shirts for each season/age. The dressy clothes that people sent to my kids NEVER got worn.

All in all, I think that it might be best if you buy just the basics when you can find them on sale to get ready, and then only get things when you feel like you REALLY need them. My daughter loved the swing, but I borrowed one from my friend so that I didn't have to buy one.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I got my money's worth out of two $20 umbrella strollers that stayed in the van. So much easier to maneuver than the double stroller I had for the twins. We even used them on a hike in the woods at the Nature Center.

My Snugli baby carrier was also a lifesaver. If I had to go out by myself, one baby went in the umbrella stroller, and one went in the Snugli. My older son was so good about holding on to the stroller.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can give you a list of what we used the most.

-diapers
-baby hooded towel
-onesies
-sleepers-terrycloth with snaps
-a hat for colder weather
-baby shampoo
-baby bar soap
-baby bathtub
-baby sleep sack- they are like a sleeping bag with arms
-snap and go and carseat-MUCH better than a stroller

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Every baby is different. Wesley loved his baby papasan chair (vibrating, played music). We used the same 3 or 4 blankets consistently.

He hated the sleep sack, the swaddling blanket (gift), wipe warmer (gift), bottle warmer (gift).

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Think basic needs and start with those things! If you aren't breast feeding, then you need bottles & formula (as long as your tap water is safe for human consumption...meaning you can drink it safely...you don't need fancy bottled water). After that, your baby needs to be warm & safe. So diapers, clothing (maybe 7-10 outfits at the MOST), a couple of blankets (thought don't buy, as others have said, you'll get them as gifts), a crib or place for the baby to sleep, and then one place for the baby to hang out during the day. Either a bouncy seat, playpen or swing, but you don't need all of them! :)

Good luck, you just never really know what you need until your baby is born! Dh and I rarely go overboard on anything, but we ended up with way too much stuff when we had our first! But you learn and move on!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I started pretty minimal and got even more so. For the last baby I made sure I had:
breasts (or equivalent if you'll formula feed)
cloth diapers-how many depends on how often you can wash (or equivalent)
4 onsies
4 sleepers
1 nice Sunday outfit
best car seat you can afford
sling (made my own cheap one) or stroller if you like, I hated them
pack&play or some other device for keeping them safe when visiting
baby side car or bed (mine just slept with me until they slept through the night then moved to a pack and play)

I didn't use special detergent, baby wash, baby bath tub, changing table, wipe wamers, swings, toys,mobile, fancy bedding or some other things I can't think of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts