1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thank you for posting that link. We've been successful with getting three cars to a minimum of 300,000. One car had around 375,000 miles on it when we sold it. Even then, it was running okay...but since DH drives around 4000-5000 miles a month, we didn't want to press our luck. DH is very diligent with car maintenance. He changes the oil every 3000-4000 miles. I think that alone has been a key factor in getting our cars to last.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
We don't drive enough in a year to ever get to that point. The car will likely disintegrate long before, especially once we take it back home where it will be bombarded with salty slush eight months a year. My brother is over that mark though; his car is the same age as ours, but he used to commute 200 miles a day.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have a 1992 Chevy truck and hubby has a 1993. I have over 200,000 miles and he has almost 250,000. Proper maintenance is the key. When the time comes we will put new motors in the trucks. It will be MUCH cheaper than buying a new or used vehicle.

Finding a good mechanic is important. I (and my family) have used the same mechanic for over 25 years. They may be a little higher than other places, BUT they stand behind their work! Hubby FINALLY learned that lesson.

·
Registered
545 Posts
great article! thanks!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I never had a car get over 112,000 miles before it died. We change oil every 3 months/3000 miles. We usually have prob. w/ seals at that point and don't fiquire it's worth pulling an engine. Is it our cold climate?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I never had a car get over 112,000 miles before it died. We change oil every 3 months/3000 miles. We usually have prob. w/ seals at that point and don't fiquire it's worth pulling an engine. Is it our cold climate?
really? well how much are seals? are seals cheaper than a new car? this is interesting.

·
19,119 Posts
Shall be sharing this with DH - mahalo for a great link!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts