Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
This is excellent! I've just convinced dh that he should use a lunch box. He was using grocery bags. BUt I don't want a bunch of bags. So on the kids station they were doing a thing on recycling. One fabric bag saves A HUGE quantity of plastic bags and I looked at him and asked if he'd use a lunch kit, he said that the fridge at work doesn't allow for a lunch kit, if he could keep it cold. I asked about a thermos lunch box with ice packs and he said that would work great. So I did see them at goodwill last time I was there, but even if I buy new, i'm currently having to buy the bags at most places. So he's game.

I hate the amount of plastic that we generate. This is an awesome idea! And I think I actually have some leftover tulle to boot! I'll be cutting these out for sure. I'll also be working on my grocery bags!

I was a little discouraged about things. I'm trying to be green and teach my kids to be green. However, a few things I really wanted to do, kinda fell through. When the house is paid off I was going to invest in the geothermal heating system. But upon talking to my pops, he was going to become a contractor to install these. the concensus was our area is just too far north to benefit, we'd essentially be running 2 systems and using more power. The other was the tankless hot water heater. And he is a plumber, and has installed it. People have been a little disappointed. As you need to run the water for 5 minutes in order to get hot water. Then it has to run to cool down so it doesn't rupture. and this is each time you use the hot water. So it's not effecient for a home. He did say that it is an excellent thing for hotels, which is where they are popular in Europe, as the rooms sit empty most of the time, so running a few extra minutes, is a savings to heating water for each room non stop.

But every little thing is a bonus! This is definitely something that I'll be using! I HATE the plastic bags. now to find a way to package my bread without the bags in the freezer..lol.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i am definitely gonna make a couple

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have 5 cut out. And while I had the cutting mat out, cut out 4 denim bags. :) Need webbing, I can't believe I don't have any! So on the way to the gym tonight I'll get some. I'll share pics tomorrow if I get to sew..lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like the idea and would like to add a couple of suggestions. Packaging at a market has a TAR. A TAR is the weight of a package or carton (cardboard/styrofoam) and is usually around a 3 TAR. You will want to check the weight of your HM bags on a digital scale, usually located in most meat or deli sections. You could then write the TAR on you bag with a permanent marker so the Cashier can make adjustments at the check-out. I would leave off the bead and the drawstring, and use a small twist tie or a gentle knot instead, to decrease the weight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
love this idea I have used cloth for a while now even save money at some stores by bringing my own. I will have my daughter help me make some of these thanks for the great idea. we live by a landfill and it is so sad to see the trees down wind of it full of plastic bags. I can't change the world just what we do to help!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I made one last night. It is fairly simple. I'd recommend cutting 9x12 on the fold, on less edge to deal with. still use the bias for it.

I substituted the bias tape for fold over elastic(as I had no bias). I had paid $0.09/ yard for this. Yes 9¢/yard. It takes a little over a yard, so I'm estimating 11¢ plus the cost of thread. The tule was scraps :) I did the bead on it, and weighed it, it doesn't even register on my kitchen scale. I just used a plastic pony bead, light weight. If you were thinking of tying a knot in the bag, you'd need to make it many inches longer to accomodate or you'll fit nothing in that bag.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is great I always have a struggle with my produce dying in the plastic bags because the non circulation causes stuff to rot or get slimy quick. (i go through produce slowly since the DH is rarely home). Thank you very much *g* :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wow! I know this was posted months ago, but I just found it. I always reuse the plastic bags, but I like this idea better! Thanks for the link!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts