Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda long. I'm sorry. :) Hello everyone. I'm here to ask your suggestions and opinions on foundation and coverup. Let me start by giving a little info about myself and then ask my questions.

I wear very little makeup and usually only 1-2 times a week. I wear mascara(black or brown), eye liner(black or brown) and eyeshadow(neutral colors and sometimes pinks/purples). I have(and get) acne sometimes and have some redness from it. I'm rather pale/fair skinned with pink undertones. My forhead and chin seem to get dryer then the rest of my face and my nose always ends up oily and my cheeks are slightly dry but not too bad.

Ok now for my questions. I'm looking for a foundation or coverup or something. I bought Wet and Wild's Intuitive blend and I've used it twice. I like it but it doesn't have much color/coverup. I don't want to look like i'm wearing foundation but I'd like something to coverup some redness and even my face out. Since I dont wear makeup that often it will last forever.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type of foundation or coverup?
Should I be looking for powder or liquid based my how my skin is?
Any brands you think I should totally keep away from?

·
Registered
719 Posts
You've got my skin pretty much to a T. The ONLY foundation I've ever been able to use that doesn't make me break out has been Maybelline Pure. It's 50% water and I love it. Problem is, it seems most places have stopped carrying it :( They do still make it though. You can use it just to cover up small areas like when you break out, or over your entire face. I think the fact that it's half water has something to do with it blending in so nicely. Just be sure to keep the cap on very tightly. I also use Physicians Formula Talc Free Mineral Wear loose powder, in translucent. It takes away the shine you might get on your forehead or nose if you use just the foundation.

Reactions: Rhayne

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
The Bare Essentials foundation and mineral veil powder is the absolute best I've ever used. It seems a bit expensive on the surface, but it lasts me a long time, provides great coverage, people are always commenting on how pretty my complexion is, etc.....totally worth it, in my opinion. I would use both the foundation and powder in this case -- the foundation provides the coverage, and the mineral veil powder seems to diffuse the light in a way that makes the end result look so nice. I turned my mom on to this and she loves it too! :)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you can spare the money, I'd get a primer. You can either wear it by itself or use it under foundation. The kind that I have is by Loreal. It's called Magic Perfecting Base. I also suffer from some acne and if I don't use a primer first, I break out really bad. I wash everything off and haven't had issues since.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree with Luckybustert, Bare Minerals is fantastic. I recently switched to Sheer Cover though, I do think the coverage is just a bit better. They are more expensive, but you don't need very much and they last a long time. Very well worth the investment in my opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this post as you and I have the exact same dilemma as far as redness and acne go. It is sooo hard to find a good makeup that doesn't cost a small fortune.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I agree with Bare Essentials foundation, it is the best I've ever worn. I've never tried sheer cover. You've got to use the brushes, but I just saw a great deal on the TV yesterday. Maybe you can find that deal on the web?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since I dont wear makeup that often it will last forever.
No, you probably won't be able to keep it more than a year (and a year is pushing it). It goes bad eventually regardless of how much/often you use it. Sorry. :(

The good news is that you don't have to spend a fortune on makeup to look great. My suggestion is that you go to a drugstore that accepts returns on opened makeup and try some different brands. It sounds like you have combination skin, so an oil-free foundation would be best for you, IMO.

Good luck and try to have fun with it! :teddy2:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, you probably won't be able to keep it more than a year (and a year is pushing it). It goes bad eventually regardless of how much/often you use it. Sorry. :(

The good news is that you don't have to spend a fortune on makeup to look great. My suggestion is that you go to a drugstore that accepts returns on opened makeup and try some different brands. It sounds like you have combination skin, so an oil-free foundation would be best for you, IMO.

Good luck and try to have fun with it! :teddy2:
Thanks. I didn't really mean forever. I just meant a while. I assume most women keep makeup or go through it every 2-3 months(i could be wrong) so if i'm able to keep it 6-9 months that would seem like forever to me.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I had my minerals foundation for over a year and it was fine. I saved it for good, or when I needed extra coverage and used my less expensive stuff for everyday wear. However I did not stick my brush in the foundation, only the lid and I washed my brushes after use. Liquid makeup can go bad in under a year though.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
And I'm gonna have to disagree because I'm one of those people who can't wear ANY of the mineral makeups. They are not for everyone, no matter what you've heard.
The only thing I can wear right now is Clinique Perfectly Real.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Oh I love Clinques foundations and powders. Can't remember the names of the ones I used to wear.

Does anyone remember Max Factor that was in a blue tube? It was like a stick foundation and not liquid. I wore that stuff forever when I had problem skin. Loved it and had great coverage. I have no idea if they make it anymore.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do remember the Max Factor in the blue tube! That was awesome stuff!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
agree w/ the poster on primer. i used to use smashbox primer but have recently switched to laura mercier mineral primer. love it! i dont have redness, so, i just use moisturizer, primer and w/ a makeup brush (clinique) aveeda tinted moisturizer

i do know that clinique has a redness line as does aveeno

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use Bare Minerals. I use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as my primer. Look at the review on makeupalley.com
$6.50 compared to $21 is good $ sense in my book.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I use bare minerals as well! I have used it for 5-6 years now, and I love it! It lasts forever and is very forgiving....you can use a darker shade or lighter shade and not really look like it's not a match...the mineral veil I could bathe in! I love that stuff! takes the shine off my face and keeps it at bay all day! I put it under my foundation then on top as well...gives me added shine protection, I have very oily skin...also I heard somewhere but always forget to try...the bisque concealer...if you put it on a blemish at night time...like alot of it...on...it will help reduce the blemish over night by drying it out? I have never tried it though...I am willing to pay the extra money for this brand...and will continue to do so!

G

·
I also use bare essentials, but I do like a heavy concealer. I also have oily skin prone to acne. My favorite concealer is the Neutrogena one in whatever their "minerals" line is called.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.