Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to use up some scrap felt to make dryer balls. They are in the washer as I type. I really hope they come out good. I didn't have any wool yarn, so I wrapped my scraps instead.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was an incredibly bad idea. The whole thing was a failure, except that I learned never to use my scraps again for making dryer balls. Now I will have to find the "100 Percent Wool Yarn" to make them. I will use my scraps for filling potholders instead.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I saw a lady on Dr. OZ say she just uses a wadded up ball of foil & she says it works. I haven't used it thou. Just passing it along.

Reactions: frugalforever

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the wadded up foil balls are for static cling, but I don't believe they are for reducing the dryer time

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
FF - I just throw a towel that is already dry in the dryer along with the wet load of clothes. Cuts the drying time.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Were your felt scraps 100% wool?

Some wool felt is actually a wool/acrylic blend. And the cheap craft felt does not have any wool at all.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the scraps were 100 percent wool. I don't use cheap craft felt. I make my own from thrift store sweaters.

Were your felt scraps 100% wool?

Some wool felt is actually a wool/acrylic blend. And the cheap craft felt does not have any wool at all.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Making felt from thrift store sweaters is something I have wanted to try, but I do not see many wool sweaters at thrift shops around here.

It does not get super cold here in winter, so people do not wear sweaters as much. And the ones I see tend not to be wool. Do you have to sort through a lot of sweaters to find the wool ones?

I have a nice wool thrift shop skirt that shrank in the wash. I am planning on doing something crafty with it but I am not sure what.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH yea! I have to "donate" a lot of time to do this. I live in the Northeast area of the USA and it gets very cold up here. People will tell you to look for 80 percent or better wool sweaters, but I always look for 100 percent wool sweaters (mens sizes). The bigger the better. More felt to use for projects. Kathy if I were you, I would google or Bing it! There are even lots of interesting ideas on Youtube also. You could make shoes, slippers. cases for your food, techie gear cases. Dog sweaters, hot drink cozies. Up here in Boston, MA, I have taken one mens wool sweaters and made, a scarf, mittens and two hats. You could try and find several and make a throw or a warm pet bed also. The ideas are endless! The other thing to watch out for is when you put it in your washing machine to felt. Make sure you put it in a delicates laundry bag that zips up as there will be lots of fluff on the inside of the bag. If you don't use the bag, you will destroy your washing machine. If you are frightened to use the washing machine or don't have a delicates bag or zippered pillowcase, Use a large basin filled with the hottest water you can get. You could use something like woolite, but I am frugal and use baby shampoo. Wash it in this and it will come out smelling great. I have bought many wool sweaters from thrift stores and they stink when you take them out of the washing machine. Sometimes you might have to throw it in the washer a few times to make it felt very tightly so you can't see the stitches. This is ultimately what you want. Felt makes it so that you don't see the stiches.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I made dryer balls with wool yarn. They're holding up great! I've got 5 of them. Hope they last for years

Reactions: frugalforever

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Second that! Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
671 Posts
But, what specifically are they? I have plastic knobby balls for the dryer, but never heard of anything made out of cloth.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They should be made out of wool yarn wrapped very tightly into a ball. It does the same thing as a "Plastic nubby ball"

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
They actually have a use?

I made one years ago and gave it to the cat to play with because I was not sure what to do with it after I made it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts