Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you make fruit leather in your dehydrator.... without the soft/semi-liquid leaking through the wholes of the dehydrator screen???
Should I put some saran wrap on the screen and then put on the fruit sauce?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have sheets that came with my dehydrator. They are like waxing thick sheets.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have sheets as well, depending on the dehydrator you might be able to pick them up at the local Walmart. I have three dehydrators one is an Excalibur the only one I had to order sheets for. Some have used saran wrap, though I have never tried it and don't think I would want the chemicals of the plastic wrap going in my food.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Making fruit leather

I have an Excalibur food dehydrator and make fruit leather in it. I just use a sheet of plastic (saran) wrap and spread my mashed fruit on it. Make it a little thicker on the edges.

·
19,119 Posts
I use parchment paper - but shall give the waxed paper a try since it's so much cheaper!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have the trays for it but yes, saran wrap will work.

It is suggested online that you spray the wrap.

I spray my trays....just a tiny bit......I will give it one tiny squirt then spread it around with my hands.

Also, remove it while it is still warm......mine comes off super easy.......peels right up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you.

I have four trays of applesauce going right now. I used saran wrap.

I don't like having the plastic leach into my food (fruit leather) either, but right now, I don't have any other option.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thank you.

I have four trays of applesauce going right now. I used saran wrap.

I don't like having the plastic leach into my food (fruit leather) either, but right now, I don't have any other option.
My kids love the applesauce ones! Good job!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My kids love the applesauce ones! Good job!
I have a lot of applesauce, and I need to free up some jars, not to mention free up some space. Drying is perfect.

I am also anticipating a move with in the next move to our dream land (to be more self-sufficient). So, I want to eliminate some weight, and make moving our pantry much simpler. This helps.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Depending on how often and how cheap you can find them you could use those silpat sheets used for cookie sheets these days.

I have an Excalibur and have the sheets for it like the rest of the folks here have talked about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.